Hi! new and asking questions...

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Super Mommy
Hi!
i just had my dd Ryann 6 weeks ago and i have my pp appt tomorrow and they are going to talk birth control. i REALLY hate being on meds of any kind, and my dh worries about the side effects as well.
so i have a few questions...
first off, before dd i had a very regular period, every 28 days...(with a mucusy discharge pretty much the whole time). to get preggo dh and i did the calender method a friend of mine told me about. 15 days after af starts your the most fertile so 2 days before and 2 days after. anyways it still took us almost 9 months to concieve... not for the lack of trying
so now i'm bfing and plan to as long as she'll have me...and i know that that can have an effect on af, but i can still get preggers with out it right? how do you tell when your are fertile or not with out it?
i really would like to wait on having another baby for at least 2 years....any info would be helpful! thanks!

June 26th, 2007, 06:50 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Hi!
i just had my dd Ryann 6 weeks ago and i have my pp appt tomorrow and they are going to talk birth control. i REALLY hate being on meds of any kind, and my dh worries about the side effects as well.
so i have a few questions...
first off, before dd i had a very regular period, every 28 days...(with a mucusy discharge pretty much the whole time). to get preggo dh and i did the calender method a friend of mine told me about. 15 days after af starts your the most fertile so 2 days before and 2 days after. anyways it still took us almost 9 months to concieve... not for the lack of trying
so now i'm bfing and plan to as long as she'll have me...and i know that that can have an effect on af, but i can still get preggers with out it right? how do you tell when your are fertile or not with out it?
i really would like to wait on having another baby for at least 2 years....any info would be helpful! thanks![/b]

While breastfeeding, your chance of pregnancy is less than 2% only as long as the following criteria are met:
1. Baby gets all nutrition from the breast
2. Baby is under 6 months of age
3. Mom has no bleeding or spotting after 56 days days post partum

As soon as any of these conditions changes, you would need to start charting. You don't need to have your cycles back to chart, because it's possible to ovulate prior to your first period after birth. A woman can learn to monitor her signs of fertility daily and then you will know when your body is becoming fertile again. Many breastfeeding Moms have a continuous vaginal discharge that is infertile, but with the help of an instructor you can learn to tell what is truly fertile for you, and what isn't - because each woman will have her own unique mucus patterns. I highly reccomend reading through the NFP FAQ sticky and if you have any further questions from there, feel free to ask!

The calender method is only reliable if you have regular cycles and even then, it doesn't account for ovulation that happens a little earlier or later than usual, so it's not very effective. It will be of no use to you before you have your cycles back, modern methods of Natural Family Planning will be much more effective.
June 27th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Super Mommy
thank you so much for the info...i didn't now that the chances were so slim while bfing exclusively! i will ask if i have more questions! thanks again!

June 28th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
hello and congrats on your beautiful baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search