Reintroducing myself

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2007, 09:56 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi everyone! I posted on this board a bit when it was brand new but it's been awhile so I am reintroducing myself. I am Lizzy, mommy to Nathaniel who turns 1 next week. I can't believe he'll be a year old... where has the time gone??

I am just now learning Creighton method and we started it just in the nick of time because I got my first pp AF yesterday. We previously learned sympto thermal from CCL when we were engaged 7 years ago, but found it confusing.

Anyway, I have a coulple of questions. First of all, is it usual to ovulate before getting your first pp AF? Or is it more likely you will get AF before ovulation?

I have progesterone issues and received a progesterone injection a week and a half ago. If anyone happen to know anything about this I am wondering if that would have caused me to get AF back?

What are cycles usually like when fertility returns after BFing?

TIA for your help!

July 7th, 2007, 09:30 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Prior to 6 months post partum, it's less likely that you will ovulate prior to the first AF - but after 6 months post partum, the likelihood of ovulation before the first AF increases with each month.

Yes, the progesterone likely caused AF, but it's not a menstral bleed - it's a withdrawal bleed. (Minor detail).

When you're fertility returns after breastfeeding, irregularity for about the first 6 cycles is completley normal. The irregularity is usually a bit worse while a woman is still nursing, but after weaning the transition back to fertility is a little smoother. Hang in there, Creighton is designed to handle the more complicated charting situations - stick close to your Fertility Care Practitioner and it will all make more sense soon!
July 9th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks for your help, Shawna. Are you saying this isn't AF? Or it is AF but just not the kind that follows ovulation? Is there any way to tell what my body will do now?

July 9th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Thanks for your help, Shawna. Are you saying this isn't AF? Or it is AF but just not the kind that follows ovulation? Is there any way to tell what my body will do now?[/b]

Well, if by AF you mean menstration - then no, it's probably not. Will just list the different kinds of bleeds briefly and hopefully it will make more sense (though for charting purposes it isn't really necessary information, it's just interesting):

1. Menstral bleed - *only* follows ovulation, approximately 11-16 days later
2. Breakthrough bleed - occurs when hormones rise sharply, as when the body is trying to ovulate. Is genereally lighter than menstration (though not always), is accompanied by the presence of cervical mucus.
3. Withdrawal bleed - occurs when hormones drops sharply. Using progestone for a certain number of days or a more concentrated dose via injection produces exactly this kind of bleed. Menstration is technically a withdrawal bleed too, the only difference is that ovulation occurs first and THEN the drop in progesterone 11 - 16 days later. With medication, the hormone drop is created without ovulation. This bleed can be lighter than regular menstration, but it can be just as heavy too. Clear as mud?
4. Implantation - occurs 7-10 days after conception as the baby nestles it's way into the uterine lining.

There is no way to predict what your body will do next, but you can manage this time by just sticking to the Creighton pre-Peak rules as long as it takes for ovulation to happen. And stick close to your FCP if you're unsure about how the rules apply in your situation. Hopefully the progesterone you took will give your cycle a little kick in the butt and what happens in the next few weeks will be more normal.
July 10th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Shawna. I hadn't ever seen those before. I am going to be sticking close to this board for the next several weeks as my FCP is on maternity leave for awhile. I feel like I'm floundering a little... I just learned this method and although it seems quite easy, my body can be pretty messed up. I have PCOS.

Anyway, thanks again!

July 11th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, Shawna. I hadn't ever seen those before. I am going to be sticking close to this board for the next several weeks as my FCP is on maternity leave for awhile. I feel like I'm floundering a little... I just learned this method and although it seems quite easy, my body can be pretty messed up. I have PCOS.

Anyway, thanks again! [/b]

I hear ya. I have PCOS too. I'm not trained to teach Creighton, but have used it in the past and can definitely help with general fertility questions. I just can't help you with application of the Creigton rules or interpretation of your charts. If you find you're having any trouble with that, please don't hesitate to call your FCP to find out if there is someone else you can be referred to while she's on Mat leave - even if by phone.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search