hearing too many horror stories for people on bc..

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Rachael1983's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Rachael1983 Send a message via Yahoo to Rachael1983
i'm on yasmin and have been for 11 years almost. in the past 6 months, i've heard so many bad stories of people, as young as 14, having horrible side effects including blood clots and even a friend of mine who is only 30 had a stroke due to a blood clot that formed from her bcp. i was just wondering what method have you ladies found more effective and where can i find some truly helpful information? thanks!

oh, by the way, my name is rachael and i have a beautiful daughter mackenzee who just made a year old last week. my df brent and i are planning on ttc #2 somewhere around december 07/january 08
July 7th, 2007, 08:25 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've had training to use both the Billings Ovulation Method and the Creighton Model (not both methods at the same time, but have used both at different times). Both were awesome, and have high effectiveness rates (based on clinical trials and user experience). It doesn't really matter which form of Natural Family Planning you choose, all the modern methods are highly effective. The Rhythm or Calender Method is also a from of NFP, but not very reliable unless you have extremely regular cycles off the pill. The most important factor in NFP's effectiveness is not which method you choose - each has it's perks, but proper training from a certified instructor. That makes it much less confusing to learnequips you with all the knowledge you need to know your body and the rules for avoiding pregnancy. It does takesa little extra time and effort to learn NFP and know your body, but the benefit is that you get the same effectiveness as the pill without any of the health risks. I feel my health is definitely worth that extra effort!

Back to us, after trying both Billings and Creighton - we've settled on Billings because of it's simplicity and how easy it is to adapt to my very chaotic cycles. But I would reccomend either one - diffferent women have different preferences, and that's why there are several modern methods of NFP to choose from.
July 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Rachael1983's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Rachael1983 Send a message via Yahoo to Rachael1983
thanks a bunch. i have to schedule my yearly in a couple of weeks so i'm gunna ask my gyn a bunch of questions and see what he recommends.
July 8th, 2007, 08:45 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
thanks a bunch. i have to schedule my yearly in a couple of weeks so i'm gunna ask my gyn a bunch of questions and see what he recommends.[/b]

Just a head's up, many Gyn's are not well educated about modern Natural Family Planning methods (they may think you're referring to Rhythm and try to discourage you because of the ineffectiveness of Rhythm. And they don't make any money if you choose NFP either.) Unfortunately, they aren't always the best source of information about modern NFP methods, unless their practise states specifically that they are NFP doctors. Now you've inspired me to start a thread about it to see what other's experiences have been!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search