Doctors and NFP

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2007, 08:58 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Has your doctor been supportive, knowledgable, or respectful of your decision to use NFP? Share here!

I'll start. I've had good and bad experiences. My first doctor ridiculed me for considering it and said "Rhythm" woouldn't work. I tried to explain what NFP was and how it's not Rhythm at all, but she wouldn't listen. She just made a snarky comment about how I should book my first prenatal appointment on my way out because I'd get pregnant so fast. I didn't go back to her. I can handle a doctor disagreeing or offering their opinion, but I don't tolerate disrespect.

I switched to a different Ob/Gyn and he has been so respectful since day one. He readily admits that he doesn't know much about NFP or how it works, but has heard it is very reliable if you do it properly. He has never once tried to push me to use something else, he only asked "Do you have the support you need with your NFP stuff, a teacher or something?" NFP has come in very handy when calculating my due dates, because with NFP I know exactly when I conceived - even though my cycles are 3-6 months long! My doctor's due date was nearly 2 months off because he was calculating based on LMP, I tried to tell him it wouldn't be right. Went for the u/s, and sure enough...my date was right on, his was 2 months off! He laughed and said he's not used to patients who know their bodies so well. Even if he doesn't understsand NFP, I love that he respects our choice.

I've also worked with an NFP-only physician for PCOS and stuff. That was SOOO cool! I was able to take my charts in to her and she used them as a diagnostic tool to begin her investigation into my problems! Just the fact that she knew how to interpret my chart was so cool (my regular Ob/Gyn didn't have a clue what it all meant when I brought in my chart to convince him about my dute date). Unfortunately, she's 6 hours away, so I only see her when I'm in desperate need of help with girly problems...I see my regular Ob/Gyn for everything else.
July 8th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Julka
I went for my prenatal appointments and gave birth at Toronto's Mount Sinai hospital, which is considered a 'Jewish' hospital, just like St. Michael's and St. Joseph's hospitals here are considered Catholic. The reason I chose Mount Sinai is because it's considered to have the best ob/gyns, the best NICU, and they also specialize in high-risk pregnancies (mine wasn't, but I really wanted a secure place to give birth at). And I really had a wonderful experience giving birth there, no regrets.

Buy my ob/gyn was Jewish too, a great doctor, BUT of course NFP was the last thing on his mind. After I gave birth, he directly told me to use b/c because getting pg within the first year after giving birth was really not good for my health, etc. He told me to use b/c again at my 2-month post delivery checkup.

I am not sure why, but I didn't reply or say anything at all.... I just didn't want to start a debate or get lectured or whatever. DH and I have already chosen NFP so whether he supported the method or not didn't really matter to me because we already made the decision...
July 8th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
My doctor was very supportive. She even tried to get some info for me. She never found much info though and she didn't really understand it so she recommended I see an instructor.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

July 10th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
My doctor has been REALLY fantastic! She was really excited to hear that I was using NFP, and we had a good talk about it, she was amazed at how many I knew, but i told her about the course i'd done, and the fact i'd used it for the past almost two years.... she was very impressed!

When she asked what i was going to do as far as b/c goes (due to medication i'm on), I thought she would have something negative to say about me using NFP, but was quite pleasantly suprised!

July 16th, 2007, 02:28 PM
BeckyK's Avatar Super Mommy
My family doctor was very supportive. He actually asks his patients to chart if they are taking longer than 6 months to TTC.

I went to my Gyn about a cyst and he tried to put me on the pill. He told me that FAM was unreliable and that I would end up pregnant. I've had 25 cycles avoiding without an oops. It makes me want to send him a copy of it all.

My Chart

Charting your cycle? Try reading Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler</div>
July 17th, 2007, 06:25 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My doctor is NFP only. The entire clinic is. I used to use CCLI sympto thermal which was fine by my doctor, but now I just started Creighton, which is what my doctor promotes.

July 28th, 2007, 12:24 AM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
Ummm - he doesn't know. LOL

At my 4 week PP appt he told me to wait 3 months and then he would do my yearly exam. He asked if I wanted anything and I said no - and then he said to just call if we changed our mind. Same convo a the yearly exam. I haven't seen him or talked to him since December 2006! I started charting March 2007.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search