Fact or Fiction? FICTION!

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2007, 08:15 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Charting can tell you the exact day of ovulation, fact or fiction? Will post the answer Monday!

The answer is FICTION! The only way to know the *exact* day of ovulation is by daily transvaginal ultrasound.

However, charting gives us a very close estimate, accurate within about 2 days. Cervical mucus is the closest point of reference. Ovulation generally occurs on the mucus Peak day (the last day of lubricative mucus), on the day after Peak, or up to two days after Peak. The rise of a woman's basal body temperature also gives a close estimate, but it can take an extra day or two for the temperatures to rise in response to progesterone which is released after ovulation - so that does not tell us the *exact* day either.

Because ovulation doesn't always coincide *exactly* with the mucus Peak day or with the rise in basal body temperatures (which are more easily affected by outside influences), this is also another reason for the 3 days of abstinence after Peak or a thermal shift is recognized if a couple wishes to avoid pregnancy. Waiting 3 days accounts for the possibility that ovulation did not coincide with the chart *exactly* and it also accounts for the possibility of double ovulation, as discussed in another thread.
August 4th, 2007, 08:54 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmm...I would think it depends on the method maybe? With Billings, I think it you only observe when your body is ready for ovulation, not actual ovulation. Peak is determined in retrospect. At least that is my understanding as a newbie to all this! I think I remember hearing that taking temps will show a spike on the day of ovulation, but I could be wrong.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
August 6th, 2007, 02:02 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Answer is in the first post!
August 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Hmm...I would think it depends on the method maybe? With Billings, I think it you only observe when your body is ready for ovulation, not actual ovulation. Peak is determined in retrospect. At least that is my understanding as a newbie to all this! I think I remember hearing that taking temps will show a spike on the day of ovulation, but I could be wrong.[/b]

Nope, charting temps is after the fact too. The thermal shift happens after you ovulate, so you have to wait three days of a clear thermal shift to be sure that it is 'safe' if you are trying to aovid. You also have to follow the rules spefically, such as the temp rise is .2 degrees above to previous 6 temps. If not you could have a normal fluctuation that does not indicate ovulation. If you have ever used fertilityfriend.com for more thana few cycles you will have experienced this. They give an ovulation day and then move it a few days later when there is a better temp shift.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
September 1st, 2007, 11:24 AM
BeckyK's Avatar Super Mommy
Some people will have a slow rise after O when temping. I tend to get that some cycles.

My Chart

Charting your cycle? Try reading Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search