Avoiding pregnancy

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That might be a little broad, so let me elaborate. My DH will be home in about 3 months. I got my first PP AF back at 9 months since DD is still breastfeeding. I've been watching my body since, to get an idea of when I ovulate, aware that my cycles could be a little off for a while. They have gone back to normal though, pretty quickly. First cycle was 29 days, I think,t hen 37, then 38. I'm not sure of this one yet, since I haven't had AF. I read up on NFP and charted the cycle we got pregnant, so I have an idea of what I'm looking for, for signs of ovulation. This cycle, based on my CM and some light crampign (which is completely new this cycle, I've never had crampign when I ovulated), I figure I ovulated on Sunday.
Anyway, when DH gets home, we will be using NFP for birth control, because we DO NOT want another baby yet. I'm going to start taking my temps when I get my period again so I have a few charts and a good idea when I ovulate so we know when to avoid. My question is, how many days before I suspect I'll ovulate, should we start using condoms (5?)? Are there any other precautions we should take?

Expecting baby #4!

August 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you really want to use NFP to avoid pregnancy you should take some type of class. I took my through THe COUple to COuple LEague. Their website is ccli.org. It is a Catholic organization, but they teach the sympto-thermal method, which I like. They even have a home study program.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 20th, 2007, 10:10 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First of all, condoms or other barriers are not compatible with modern methods of Natural Family Planning (NFP). Charting plus barrier use is the Fertility Awareness Method (FAM).

Secondly, I will second what the previous poster said - proper instruction is essential to enjoy the high reliability of NFP methods. Modern NFP involves no predictions about your cycles, and no assumpations about when you may or may not ovulate based on previous cycles. Each cycle is treated as a new event and you will learn to monitor your fertility as it happens, day by day, and apply the rules for avoiding pregnancy accordingly.

For all the different methods, how they work, and where you can obtain training in how to use them - see the Resource Sticky. All methods offer face to face instruction, some have online courses, and others have correspandance courses too. Charting to avoid pregnancy is quite diffferent than charting to conceive, so again...I highly reccomend proper training and then you'll be set for as long as you want to avoid pregnancy!

September 1st, 2007, 11:25 AM
BeckyK's Avatar Super Mommy
Most people using FAM will follow the 5 day rule. You can have intercourse the first 5 days of your cycle and then 5-7 days after Ovulation has been confirmed.

My Chart

Charting your cycle? Try reading Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search