Ovulation questions~!

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I have a few questions:

♥When a woman starts her period, is that the first day of her cycle?

♥If a woman has an average cycle (28 days), when is the earliest possible she could ovulate?

♥If a woman has an average cycle (28 days), when is the latest possible she could ovulate?

♥If you ovulate early or late in your cycle, does that mean your whole cycle will be less days than it would be if you ovulated on time? For example, if a woman normally has a 28 day cycle and ovulated on day 12 instead of day 14 like usual, would she get her period exactly two weeks after ovulation? Or would she still get her period on the 28th day like normal?

September 17th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Yes, the first day of a woman's period is day 1 of her cycle.

The earliest a woman can ovulate is after the first day. MOST women will ovulate after day 10 or so, but that is not always the case. A few years ago a woman at church told me about her experience with NFP. She had a 7-8 day period and a 28 day cycle. They tried for a couple years to get pregnant with no luck. They assumed they were timing sex correctly (usually between days 10 and 18). They did not have sex while she was on her period. They went to a doctor who taught them how to do NFP. The first month she discovered something very surprising to her. She was ovulating on day 8! That means she was ovulating while she was sometimes still on her period and all that time they had been missing the egg without realizing it. The second month she got pregnant since they then knew when to time sex to get pregnant. The other 4 or 5 of their kids were also conceived the first month they tried. So, moral of the story, it can vary as to the earliest a woman can ovulate and the best way to find out is to chart.

The latest possible for ovulation in a typical 28 day cycle also varies, but in order to sustain a pregnancy, usually no later than day 20 and even then that's iffy if it can sustain a pregnancy. You need a decent length luteal phase (usually at least 10 days). I have a friend with a luteal phase defect and her luteal phase is 8 or 9 days. Because of that she has a hard time staying pregnant after conceiving. Again, the best way to find out how late is to chart.

She would get her period after her luteal phase had passed (which may or may not be exactly 14 days). If she ovulates early, her period will start "early" and if she ovulates late, her period will start "late." Luteal phases don't vary much (more than about a day), but the pre-ovulation time can be affected by many things including stress and breastfeeding. For example, I am on day 26. My cycle is usually 28-30 days. It would be expected that if we don't conceive this month I should start my period in 2-4 days. However, since I am charting I know I have either not ovulated yet or am experiencing a stair-step temperature pattern and O'd a couple days ago (a few more days of temperatures and I'll know which it is). Anyway, assuming I did ovulate a couple days ago and assuming I don't get pregnant, my cycle will end up being 36 days long because I O'd late.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search