could you look at my chart

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM
geo-geek
My chart (link in siggie) is still confusing me. I have been trying FAM since May but doing that I stopped taking temps and charting everything after about 45 days of my last cycle which lasted 102 days. I think that my last cycle had a lot less mucus. I am almost sure that I ovulated 4 days ago with that big jump with other things that happened around that time like I saw a slight pink color of mucus when I wiped, sore nipples and cramping. My temps are jumping up and down now. I am just confused.
September 25th, 2007, 06:48 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hm, well it doesn't look like you can be sure yet. You need 3 temperatures which are higher than the previous 6. One temp jump can be a fluke, if you were a bit sick or slept with more blankets than usual, got up earlier or later than usual, or whatever - so that' why it's important to confirm ovulation with the overall pattern and not just one temp. If you discard those disturbed temps, it might make the overall pattern more clear.

In terms of mucus, did it develop and progress to the point that it became very slippery? And after that, did you notice an abrupt drying up? Even if you're not completely dry, did it dry up to something signficantly drier than before?

September 26th, 2007, 06:36 AM
geo-geek
It was a little bit watery the next day but dried up by the end of the day and I am still dry. In tcoyf it says use the 6 temps that are normal not any that could be tainted so to speak. If you do it that way I wouldn't have o'd, but if you count the ones that are different but not use them in the coverline I am a .1 degree above the "coverline"(I don't know if it actually is) but when the temp jumped to that slightly higher temperature scheme I haven't been doing anything different that would change my temps but they could be lower than normal because fall has started here in full force and my apartment is cooler than normal. I know about the ones that have jumped before with sickness and not sleeping well and I figured that the first one was trying to o but my sickness stopped it. By the way congrats on the pregnancy Shawna.
September 26th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Hey thanks! We're tickled!

Ok, back to chart. 0.1 degrees above the coverline *with* the added complication of having several distrubed temps - I really wouldn't conclude that you've ovulated. There's just too much that's uncertain, you know? I don't have a copy of TCOYF handy and I don't teach Sympto Thermal anyway, but I'm quite sure that for avoiding purposes - in order to use the most strict criteria for confirming ovulatuion, the temperature shift should be at least 0.2 degrees higher than the coverline. That's according to Northwest Family Services and Couple to Couple League (both teach STM). I'm going to double check with some NFP teacher colleagues of mine from those organizations to see if that's correct. In terms of mucus, being only a little bit watery sounds to me like your estrogen levels may have risen a bit, but your body didn't actually ovulate yet (which means you would still need to be on the lookout for another mucus build up). It requires too much imagination to dig a coverline out of that chart, so that should be a clue that ovulation hasn't happened yet.

*BUT* the good news is that you could remain dry for awhile before your body tries again. If you do, once you have 3 full days of dryness you are infertile until the mucus starts up again. Anytime you have 3 full days of dryness, you can consider yourself infertile no matter when that happens in your cycle (especially these long ones that drag on awhile - you can have spurts of fertility where your body revs up to ovulate, and then spurts of infertility while your body waits to try again).

Does that make sense?
September 27th, 2007, 07:40 AM
geo-geek
That does make sense. Thank you. Plus I think the confusion is over today. My temp plumited so I know that there was no ovulation. Thanks for the additional information. I didn't know about the 3 days of dry rule. That is nice .
September 27th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Quote:
That does make sense. Thank you. Plus I think the confusion is over today. My temp plumited so I know that there was no ovulation. Thanks for the additional information. I didn't know about the 3 days of dry rule. That is nice .[/b]

Yes, the dry day rule comes in very handy for those of us with long cycles or breastfeeding Moms who don't have their cycles back yet (but their bodies are trying!) To use the rule, alternating dry evenings are available for BDing. That way you can observe mucus carefully without the presence of seminal fluid to confuse your observations (so you don't miss when the mucus starts up again). So if you BD on Monday night, wait all day Tuesday so that seminal fluid can leave the body, observe mucus all day Wednesday to make sure you are still dry...and then Wednesday evening is available if you are.
October 8th, 2007, 08:00 PM
*bump*

Not sure if you saw what I posted in Cycle Check, but it looks like that last period may have been ovulatory breakthrough bleeding! FF likes to reset things every time you mark bleeding, so it may have missed it. Look how your temps shot up though! If you get another period in approximately 2 weeks, you'll know for sure!
October 8th, 2007, 11:09 PM
geo-geek
That is interesting...I will definately look out for that. It was the lightest "period" that I have ever had so I didn't really notice that it was much higher, but now that I am looking, it does seem higher.
October 9th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Quote:
That is interesting...I will definately look out for that. It was the lightest "period" that I have ever had so I didn't really notice that it was much higher, but now that I am looking, it does seem higher.[/b]

If you're bored and want to play with your chart, change those "light" days to spotting (Fertility Friend likes to reset everything whenever there's bleeding, it's so silly). Then make sure your interpretation setting is on Fertility Awareness instead of advanced....see what happens. I bet you get crosshairs.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search