Shawna or anyone

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So I'm starting to notice that I ovulate pretty late...my cycles have been 29 days for the past 5 or 6 months and last month I ovulated around CD19...

This cycle AF is due to show on the 27th and I dont believe I have ovulated yet. I did not chart this cycle but I did take my temp this morning and it was 97.1 which is below my coverline for last month plus I am still having some EWCM though not as heavy as a couple days ago. I am wondering if my LP is too short
I do have a 16month old son but I know that after pregnancy your cycles can change.

How many days is too short for a LP? Should I look into correcting this since we're hoping for a BFP soon?

Thanks~

ETA, I am currently on CD16 and had O pains Tuesday night (CD14) but am still having some EWCM....

Our newest addition, Caleb Alexander! Born September 2nd, 9 pounds and 2oz!
Big brother Ethan is now 2 years old!
November 15th, 2007, 07:21 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How many cycles have you had since you had your boy? It's normal to have a short LP for approximately 6 cycles after having a baby. If you're still breastfeeding, then it's normal to have a short LP until you wean.

A healthy LP is 11-16 days, anything under 10 days is generally too short to support pregnancy. If you've had more than 6-8 non-breastfeeding cycles and your LP is still too short, then you need to see your doctor. If you're nursing or still haven't had a lot of cycles post partum, then time will take care of it.

During the post partum return to fertility, you should notice your LP increasing in length from a little each cycle until it's a normal length. This is what takes 6-8 cycles. But if you're nursing and it doesn't get longer with the passing of more cycles, then you may need to consider what is more important - continuing to nurse, or TTC. Some women are able to TTC while nursing, and other women find that breastfeeding impacts their fertility more.
November 15th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I got my period back when he was 5 months old so I've had about 11 cycles. They've only been 29 days regularly for the past 7 cycles and before that they were between 27 and 34 days.

ETA, we stopped breastfeeding at 12 months, so 4 months ago.

November 15th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Ok, since you weaned only 4 months ago, you may just need a little more time...a few more cycles should do it, and if not - go see your doctor. I would encourage you to track the next few cycles carefully to confirm that your LP really is short and to see if it seems to be staying that way, or improving.
November 15th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Shawna. I'll start temping again to get an idea. I need to correct an earlier statement though, today has been watery not EWCM so i wonder if I am ovulating today....but my temp this morning was below coverline so I'm not sure...guess I'll start temping again tomorrow...

November 15th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Thanks Shawna. I'll start temping again to get an idea. I need to correct an earlier statement though, today has been watery not EWCM so i wonder if I am ovulating today....but my temp this morning was below coverline so I'm not sure...guess I'll start temping again tomorrow...[/b]
Yeah, it sure could be. You can only confirm ovulation after the fact though - either by the mucus dry up, or by temps - or by both. O pains can happen anytime in the days leading up to ovulation from the follicles in the ovaries being stimulated, it can happen as the ova ruptures through the ovary, or it can happen afterwards as the ova makes it's way down the fallopian tube - so that one is less accurate than your mucus pattern. It's a more vague sign.
November 15th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So, I've been extra observant today and my CM has gone to sticky/dry since this morning when it was watery. I also retook my temp (which I know you're supposed to do at the same time everyday but I was curious P) and it went from 97.2 this morning to 97.8 (right above coverline) this afternoon. And I was not exerting much physically... so here's hoping that today is O day... Oh, and tonight I had a special evening planned for DH because its his 30th birthday...how long does that eggie live again but wait, does that mean another boy??

Thanks again for the help Shawna...I learn new things all the time.

November 15th, 2007, 07:32 PM
The temp from today is completely unreliable, so don't get excited just yet! LOL Just going about your day generates enough body heat to raise your temp, that's why taking it first thing in the morning before you get moving around is so important. The ova can live up to 24 hours. And yes, the Shettles theory is BOY if you BD close to ovulation...but that theory has never worked for us. Ironically, it's been the complete opposite - our girls were conceived as a result of BDing close to ovulation, and our boys from BDing several days prior! We're just non-conformists I guess. LOL Keep us posted with what the next few days bring! Fingers crossed for you!
November 16th, 2007, 02:09 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Quote:
How many cycles have you had since you had your boy? It's normal to have a short LP for approximately 6 cycles after having a baby. If you're still breastfeeding, then it's normal to have a short LP until you wean.[/b]
Oh, this is good information to me as I'm still bf'ing and just waiting on my 2nd AF for now!

November 16th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
today's temp went up to 97.6. last month's coverline was 97.7...
But, I was pretty dry yesterday afternoon and evening. In fact, DH even informed me that I was after we spent some time together last night TMI...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search