Post-AF question

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't started charting anything yet, but I have some questions. I just finished my first postpartum AF. It was two weeks long. Now, I feel pretty wet and seem to have a bit of CM. I haven't checked to see what kind yet though. Do you think that I could be ovulating soon (normally I have 28 day cycles) since I just ended my long AF? Would it be safe for intimacy if we didn't want to get pregnant, or should we wait?

(I really need to figure out what I'm doing! Ahh!)

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

November 19th, 2007, 02:00 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Any time you feel or see any discharge at all, you have to consider yourself potentially fertile - doesn't matter what kind of mucus it is! So no, it would not be safe if you want to
avoid pregnancy. You can consider yourself infertile when you have had 3 full days of complete dryness (the 4th evening of dryness is available for intimacy).

Each woman has her own unique mucus patterns, so there is no hard and fast rule about what kind of mucus is infertile and what kind isn't. We know that clear, slippery mucus occurs closet to ovulation and is the *most* fertile - but all of the less fertile types have the ability to keep sperm alive in a woman's body for up to 5 days to wait for the egg.

However, many women have constant vaginal discharge which is infertile (especially breastfeeding Moms, if you are nursing!) To tell the difference between what may be infertile vaginal discharge and what is truly fertile cervical mucus, you really need to work with an instructor! It takes 3 full cycles of charting to evaluate the difference. (Or 2-4 weeks if you aren't cycling yet, but since you are...it takes 3 cycles).

Does that answer your question a bit?
November 19th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Quote:
However, many women have constant vaginal discharge which is infertile (especially breastfeeding Moms, if you are nursing!) To tell the difference between what may be infertile vaginal discharge and what is truly fertile cervical mucus, you really need to work with an instructor! It takes 3 full cycles of charting to evaluate the difference. (Or 2-4 weeks if you aren't cycling yet, but since you are...it takes 3 cycles).[/b]
Does that mean we can't be intimate for that long?

November 19th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Quote:
However, many women have constant vaginal discharge which is infertile (especially breastfeeding Moms, if you are nursing!) To tell the difference between what may be infertile vaginal discharge and what is truly fertile cervical mucus, you really need to work with an instructor! It takes 3 full cycles of charting to evaluate the difference. (Or 2-4 weeks if you aren't cycling yet, but since you are...it takes 3 cycles).[/b]
Does that mean we can't be intimate for that long?
[/b]
No no! It means if you have discharge from the end of menstruation until you ovulate, you have to consider it potentially fertile (and wait). AFTER ovulation during those 3 cycles you can be as intimate as many times as you like! LOL Does that clear it up?

Though with any method you learn, you do need to wait one entire cycle in order to master your cervical mucus observations without the presence of seminal or arousal fluids to confuse you. I'm pretty sure all the methods require a one month learning-to-chart wait...I know Billings and Creighton for sure, maybe Jennifer can tell us if CCL requires it while learning.
November 19th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I will look and see if I can find any classes around here. I live in rural Indiana, but I know there are some places about 1.5 hours away that teach the method that Jennifer uses. I'm just not sure when we'll have time since DH is working on his teaching license on the weekends. I think I'll at least buy a basal thermometer and see how that goes.

BTW, I checked my CM tonight. It was wet (but not slippery) and had a little "clump" on clear stuff. My panty liner is light yellow though. Hmmm...

November 19th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Here, I checked for you. Here's what Indiana has to offer:

Billings Ovulation Method Instructors:
Hammond
Indianapolis

Couple to Couple League has teacher couples in:
Carmel - 2 couples
Westfield
Greenfield
Indianapolis - 2
Highland
Lowell
Columbia City
Fort Wayne - 3
Guilford
Sunman
Corydon
New Albany
Seymour
Muncie
Bloomington
Terre Haute
Lafayette - 2

Fertility Care Centers (Creighton Model) in:
Evansville
Jasper
Lafayette
Westfield
Nobelsville

Whew, Indiana must have a LOT of NFP users!

For what it's worth, you will probably only have to drive for the introductory session. Every teacher does things a bit differently, but usually your follow-up consultations can be done by phone.

November 19th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks, Shawna! I think we might look into the Lafayette one. It's part of our diocese, and we know where the church is. It's where we had the our Pre-Cana.

November 21st, 2007, 02:07 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Sorry for chiming in late... CCL also recommends abstaining until after ovulation for at least one cycle.

Amy, taking the class in person is really the best, but if that is impossible for you, CCL offers a home study course that you and your husband would work through together. This is how DH and I originally learned the method. I was not even cycling thanks to breastfeeding at the time we learned, but the course is very thorough!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

November 23rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks, Jennifer! We will check it out either in person or use the at home course. You ladies are so helpful!

November 25th, 2007, 02:08 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Quote:
Any time you feel or see any discharge at all, you have to consider yourself potentially fertile - doesn't matter what kind of mucus it is! So no, it would not be safe if you want to
avoid pregnancy. You can consider yourself infertile when you have had 3 full days of complete dryness (the 4th evening of dryness is available for intimacy).[/b]
That would literally mean we couldn't have sex if we weren't TTC for us!!! AH! I have to be more specific than dryness because I am not ever dry.

November 25th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Quote:
avoid pregnancy. You can consider yourself infertile when you have had 3 full days of complete dryness (the 4th evening of dryness is available for intimacy).[/b]
That would literally mean we couldn't have sex if we weren't TTC for us!!! AH! I have to be more specific than dryness because I am not ever dry.
[/b]

Many women are never ever dry - they have infertile vaginal discharge all the time that is separate from fertile cervical mucus. But learning to tell the difference between the two for TTA (because each woman's mucus patterns are unique) requires proper training and the assistance of an instructor! Until a woman has evaluated her observations with a teacher, she has to err on the side of caution and assume everything she feels or sees is potentially fertile. After her charting has been evaluated, then she'll know the difference between her infertile vaginal discharge and her fertile cervical mucus. Does that clear it up?
November 29th, 2007, 01:01 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
If I could chime in here. I generally have fertile CM from after AF until I O. I have creamy CM during the LP but there are cycles that I've had EWCM during the LP too. Charting my temps has REALLY helped me to identify when the fertile time has ended. Even though we're TTC, it still helps us in identifying when we can slow down the BDing. Without the complete picture, I honestly would have no idea what is going on. I suggest you start charting your temps so you know these things and it's not such a mystery.

Also, just like Shawna mentioned, when you're BFing, your CM is not reliable when it comes to knowing if you're fertile or not. Again, I will stress the charting method to show the big picture.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twins!!!

November 29th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Also, just like Shawna mentioned, when you're BFing, your CM is not reliable when it comes to knowing if you're fertile or not. Again, I will stress the charting method to show the big picture. [/b]

I never said CM is not reliable while breastfeeding - it certainly is!!! It's just takes proper training to tell the difference between infertile vaginal discharge and fertile mucus, so that you can apply the rules for avoiding pregnancy accordingly - by abstaining when true fertile CM is present, and enjoying the times in between when infertile vaginal discharge is present.
November 29th, 2007, 01:13 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Sorry if I misquoted you.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twins!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search