What other protection do you use?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What other protection do you use when you know you are fertile? (ie condoms etc). Or do you just abstain during the period you know you are fertile?
November 20th, 2007, 07:00 AM
geo-geek
We mostly abstain, but if we feel like it, we use condoms. We figured out pulling doesn't do the trick.
November 20th, 2007, 08:49 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We wait. We're very fertile, so when it's necessary to avoid pregnancy there's no way I'd trust a condom (or anything else) during my fertile times.
November 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
we just wait

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

November 20th, 2007, 05:05 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
We would abstain.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

November 21st, 2007, 09:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm... I think we'll be using condoms when I first go off the BCP in Feb next year just until I get my head around working out when I'm fertile - I'll be too nervous to just trust my cycles and knowing when to abstain!

Poor DBF - no s*x when AF arives, then no s*x when I'm fertile - I don't think he'll be too happy with that!
November 21st, 2007, 09:19 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
Quote:
Poor DBF - no s*x when AF arives, then no s*x when I'm fertile - I don't think he'll be too happy with that! [/b]
You can make up for that when you are NOT fertile or when AF has gone. Or just pamper your DBF during those times that way, he won't feel frustrated

DH and I abstain or do the p&p during my fertile times and AF. I can't use condoms because whether they are latex or latex free or some other kind of material, it literally makes me raw. the p&p hasn't done us wrong for seven years prior to Caleb, so we're pretty comfortable using that method. We've had a lot of practice with that.
November 21st, 2007, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Hmmm... I think we'll be using condoms when I first go off the BCP in Feb next year just until I get my head around working out when I'm fertile - I'll be too nervous to just trust my cycles and knowing when to abstain![/b]
If you haven't had proper training about when to abstain and how to evaluate your fertility, then I would be nervous too! The pregnancy rate is much higher for couples who try to "wing it" with regards to learning to use charting to avoid pregnancy, but rates are very low for couples who have had sufficient training. It all depends on how serious your need is to avoid pregnancy. If very serious (like women who are taking meds that would harm a fetus, for example) - then using condoms during the fertile time is far more risky than waiting, because condoms have a failure rate...abstinence doesn't. If not so serious, then you can afford to just see how it goes and take what happens.

Kind of like comparing the need to avoid pregnancy to other health matters. If someone has a heart problem (serious need), then it's necessary to make diet, exercise, proper medication a priority...you can't really afford to just wing it with regards to nutrition etc. Someone without any health concerns (not a serious need), can just try to eat well and not really pay much attention to it.
November 25th, 2007, 11:18 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Abstaining...that's the only method of bc I've ever used, no condoms, no pills, etc.

November 27th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
well since dh "doesnt trust it" (referring to FAM grrrrrrrrr) we use condoms and sponge. the sponge was a bit wierd at first but i don't mind it now.....
November 29th, 2007, 02:12 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I will be the one that everyone will say... ohhhh that's not good. Before we were TTC we used the pull-out method. Now let me explain how it works, b/c it has worked for this DH and my exDH. I got pg with DD the 2nd cycle of not trying/not avoiding, with DD we were actively TTC and charting and by the end of the 1st cycle, I was pg.
Having said that..... I have a certain way that it's done so there isn't much of a chance. If there's plenty of foreplay, the pre-ejac will appear during that. We wipe that away or whatever and during BD, right before he ejacs, he pulls out and finishes on my stomach. This obvioualy has worked for both DHs b/c I have no surprise children. I have 2.5yrs between my 2 kids and we didn't avoid during my fertile times. Now granted, everyone is different so someone else may not have the technique mastered and may get an OOPS baby. The key is your DH knowing his body well enough to pull out in time. I think this is where the problem generally begins.

Anyway..... that's just what we've used.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

November 30th, 2007, 07:09 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We abstained during times where I knew I was fertile. Early on, when I wasn't quite sure if I was doing things right, we would pullout on "fringe days," but after a few cycles, I got to know things pretty well and it was clear what was a safe day and what wasn't.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
December 1st, 2007, 08:53 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
When I am fertile we use condoms..... however we had a bit of a slip up (ie we got slack) recently, which resulted in an ectopic pregnancy - so we are now talking about what method of BC to use, I think we've agreed on going back to FAM, but are either going to use a 2nd barrier method, or just abstain during my fertile time

December 4th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
If you haven't had proper training about when to abstain and how to evaluate your fertility, then I would be nervous too! The pregnancy rate is much higher for couples who try to "wing it" with regards to learning to use charting to avoid pregnancy, but rates are very low for couples who have had sufficient training. It all depends on how serious your need is to avoid pregnancy. If very serious (like women who are taking meds that would harm a fetus, for example) - then using condoms during the fertile time is far more risky than waiting, because condoms have a failure rate...abstinence doesn't. If not so serious, then you can afford to just see how it goes and take what happens.

Kind of like comparing the need to avoid pregnancy to other health matters. If someone has a heart problem (serious need), then it's necessary to make diet, exercise, proper medication a priority...you can't really afford to just wing it with regards to nutrition etc. Someone without any health concerns (not a serious need), can just try to eat well and not really pay much attention to it.[/b]
Well, my reason for avoiding a pregnancy would be because we are not ready to have a baby yet!

What do you you mean by 'sufficient training' - do you mean take a class? If so, how would I find one (keeping in mind I'll be doing it in New Zealand)? For a start, I'm planning on buying the TCOYF book and reading that before I go off the pill...
December 4th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Kind of like comparing the need to avoid pregnancy to other health matters. If someone has a heart problem (serious need), then it's necessary to make diet, exercise, proper medication a priority...you can't really afford to just wing it with regards to nutrition etc. Someone without any health concerns (not a serious need), can just try to eat well and not really pay much attention to it.[/b]
Well, my reason for avoiding a pregnancy would be because we are not ready to have a baby yet!

What do you you mean by 'sufficient training' - do you mean take a class? If so, how would I find one (keeping in mind I'll be doing it in New Zealand)? For a start, I'm planning on buying the TCOYF book and reading that before I go off the pill...
[/b]

Sufficient training means taking a class or an online or correspondence course where you work with a teacher long distance, or working privately with an instructor, etc. Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a good jumping off point, but even the author encourages actual training from a certified instructor to really learn NFP inside and out. In New Zealand, your instruction options are:

Natural Fertility NZ - http://www.naturalfertility.co.nz/lrn_consult.htm
The Billings Ovulation Method online course (a teacher is assigned to you via email) - http://www.woomb.org/bom/teaching/learningBOM.html
The Couple to Couple League Correspondence course (see the bottom book, available January 2008) - http://ccli.org/store/onlineshopping.php?c...order_by=name#C
December 5th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks Shawna!
January 25th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Super Mommy
abstain!
Never the pill or condoms used!

February 20th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Veteran
We just wait
Kathi 05.20.2013

November 4th, 2009, 06:39 AM