stuck.. hormonal BC or NFP?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2007, 05:29 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I am really stuck and don't know what to do. Me & my boyfriend were using NFP, however I was slack one month & the result was an ectopic pregnancy & a lot of emotional trauma. I decided while in hospital after my surgery to go back on the pill, to eliminate the risk of another unplanned pregnancy occuring.......

I am now on my first cycle of BCP (mini-pill, due to not being able to go on the combined pill because of my epilepsy medication) - and already I'm remembering why I didn't like hormonal BC. My face is breaking out, my libido has taken a dive & I just don't feel 'right'.

I liked NFP because I knew what my body was doing, and I liked my body doing what it wanted to, not being controlled by hormones (well, synthetic hormones!)... BUT then there is always the risk of one little slip up & being faced with an unplanned pregnancy...

Does anyone have any advice? *sigh*

I *want* to use NFP.. but i'm not sure if my *want* is a good enough reason.... me & my boyf have only been together for 4 months, so a pregnancy really wouldn't be a wonderful thing..

December 1st, 2007, 05:58 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I liked NFP because I knew what my body was doing, and I liked my body doing what it wanted to, not being controlled by hormones (well, synthetic hormones!)... BUT then there is always the risk of one little slip up & being faced with an unplanned pregnancy...

Does anyone have any advice? *sigh*[/b]

Except that a slip up isn't really a risk that's just floating around out there outside of your control, a slip-up is still a choice. You have complete control over whether you engage in activities that could lead to conception or not. NFP is just as reliable as the Pill, without the side effects - but the price you pay for that high reliability is that you HAVE to follow the rules and avoid all genital contact during times of potential fertility (and make up for it during the infertile times). The Pill allows you to not have to think about when to time sex, but the price you pay is that you have to put up with the physical side effects and risks. Only you can decide which price tag you're willing to live with. Well, only you and your BF can decide, because in order to use NFP successfully you will both have to be committed to following it together and sharing the responsibility.

The other thing to consider is that ALL methods of BC (NFP and the Pill included) can fail and pregnancy is always a possibility when you are sexually active. If an unplanned pregnancy is absolutely not a good idea right now, you may need to discuss whether being sexually active is worth risking unplanned pregnancy.

Hang in there and good luck with your decision. It's a tough one for sure! I'm so sorry about your loss and all the emotions that go with that. Keep us updated on how you're doing!

December 1st, 2007, 07:49 PM
I realised after I'd written my post that no contraception is 100% effective, and was going to change it but then the computer went funky, so I gave up.

I will speak to K about what his feelings are, but I think I do want to go back to using NFP. My decision to go back on BCP was made pretty abruptly, and I guess based on my emotions after having experienced a pretty traumatic event....

Question: if we decided to go back to using NFP, would I be able to just stop taking BCP and go straight to NFP, or would it be best to complete this cycle of BCP & then start the NFP when my period arrives?

December 1st, 2007, 07:57 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Question: if we decided to go back to using NFP, would I be able to just stop taking BCP and go straight to NFP, or would it be best to complete this cycle of BCP & then start the NFP when my period arrives?[/b]

Doesn't really matter, your body will still have to adjust to going off no matter when you stop. You can immediately start following the NFP rules for avoiding pregnancy, the very simplest rule being - if you observe mucus, abstain until you have 3 full dry days. Alternating evenings are safe after that as long as there is no mucus. This works no matter where you are in your cycle while things are getting back on track.

December 1st, 2007, 08:33 PM
thanks for the advice Shawna. We've spoken about it and are pretty much decided on going back to FAM, so we are going to use a barrier method for the rest of this cycle & then continue as normal when my next period arrives

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search