Temping Question

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've decided to use the temping method of NFP. I bought a basal thermometer and have been taking my temp first thing in the morning (in bed). I keep thinking my second PP AF will show up any time now as I have been cramping on and off for a week. AF's a no-show though (first PP AF/most recent was on Nov. 3 for two weeks). I took an HPT on Monday, and it was negative. Anyway, my temp has been staying in the 97 degree area. I was going to start using Fertility Friend when I actually got AF, but obviously, that hasn't happened yet. Any ideas on what's happening? What are the normal temps during pregnancy?

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

December 8th, 2007, 08:19 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I've decided to use the temping method of NFP. I bought a basal thermometer and have been taking my temp first thing in the morning (in bed). I keep thinking my second PP AF will show up any time now as I have been cramping on and off for a week. AF's a no-show though (first PP AF/most recent was on Nov. 3 for two weeks). I took an HPT on Monday, and it was negative. Anyway, my temp has been staying in the 97 degree area. I was going to start using Fertility Friend when I actually got AF, but obviously, that hasn't happened yet. Any ideas on what's happening? What are the normal temps during pregnancy?[/b]

There aren't really "normal" temps for pregnancy - what you would be looking for is a thermal shift, 3 temperatures higher than the previous 6 to confirm ovulation. And then if they remain high for 18 consecutive days, you can be most certain that you are pregnant.

It's very common for your first few cycles post partum to be irregular (especially if you are still breastfeeding), so just keep taking your temps consistently and you will be able to confirm ovulation when it happens. Cramping isn't really conclusive because it can happen prior to menstruation, but it can also happen around the time of ovulation, and it can also happen if your body *attempts* ovulation and doesn't go through with it the first time.
December 8th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks, Shawna!

When you say three degrees, would that mean like from 97 to 100 degrees or 97.7 to 98 degrees?

I just bought Taking Charge of Your Fertility, but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

December 8th, 2007, 05:21 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
You measure the changes in your temperature in tenths of a degree. Basically, you look for three temperatures that are higher than the previous six temperatures. I haven't personally read TCOYF but I am sure the temperature shift is explained in there.

Are you still breastfeeding? If so, you can expect your cycles to be a bit "wacky" as you go through the transition back to normal fertility. I've been through that three times, and delayed ovulation (resulting in long cycles) is considered normal for the breastfeeding mom. Keep up with your observations and be patient!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

December 8th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I'm not breastfeeding anymore. I stopped at the beginning of October. I know my AF with Aiden took 2 months to get the first time, and with Ava, it only took a month. Maybe that has something to do with it. Plus, after my horrendously (sp?) long first cycle after Aiden, I started taking BC to regulate AF. It might have been weird like this if I wasn't on BC.

Thanks, ladies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search