nfp newbie

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to hannybunny86
hi, my names hannah and i'm a newbie here. i have a 24 month old son and a 4 month old daughter, we live near bristol in uk.

i just got my second prescription for the mini-pill as i keep gettin them then not bein able to muster the courage to actually go get it and take it! I'm bf my daughter (using LAM) and just hate the idea of her potentially gettin these hormones thru the milk- it cant b good to introducde different hormones to a growin babe can it ?

I'd love to try natural family plannin but really dont know where to start researchin it. Could ne1 tell me the basics? eg whether u need to do it with temps, or mucous, whether u need a prof to help chart etc also what is the pg rate if you do it religously? Also wats FAM?

Thanks
December 13th, 2007, 07:34 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
hi, my names hannah and i'm a newbie here. i have a 24 month old son and a 4 month old daughter, we live near bristol in uk.

i just got my second prescription for the mini-pill as i keep gettin them then not bein able to muster the courage to actually go get it and take it! I'm bf my daughter (using LAM) and just hate the idea of her potentially gettin these hormones thru the milk- it cant b good to introducde different hormones to a growin babe can it ?

I'd love to try natural family plannin but really dont know where to start researchin it. Could ne1 tell me the basics? eg whether u need to do it with temps, or mucous, whether u need a prof to help chart etc also what is the pg rate if you do it religously? Also wats FAM?

Thanks[/b]
Welcome Hannah, and congrats on the birth of your baby!

Modern Natural Family Planning methods are 96-99% reliable for avoiding pregnancy, depending on which form you choose. NFP methods teach a woman to identify her times of potential fertility and a couple abstains from all genital contact when it's possible for the woman to conceive. While breastfeeding, this means you simply learn to monitor for signs that your body is trying to resume fertility again. Proper training (online course, a class, private instruction) is essential for the high reliability. Having someone to coach you through your charting for avoiding pregnancy reduces the confusion significantly!

FAM is the Fertility Awareness Method. FAM also teaches a woman to monitor her signs of fertility, but rather than abstain - the couple uses barriers, spermicides, or withdrawal during the times that she can potentially conceive. The failure rate for FAM is the same as whichever barrier is chosen.

You can learn to monitor mucus only, or you can include the use of your Basal Body Temperatures as well. Different methods rely on different fertility signs, so you can easily choose a form of NFP that accommodates your personal preferences.

Take a second to read through the NFP Resources sticky, it has information about all the different forms of NFP and how they work. I believe in the UK, there are teachers for the Billings Ovulation Method, the Creighton Model, and the Couple to Couple League form of the Sympto Thermal Method. The resources I included in the links are mostly for North America, so here is the training information for the UK:

Billings Ovulation Method
http://www.woomb.org/centres/europe.html

Creighton Model
http://www.lifefertilitycare.co.uk/natfamplan.html

Couple to Couple League

http://ccli.org/learn/tcsearch.php

If your baby gets all nutrition at the breast and you haven't had any bleeding or spotting since she was born, you can continue to rely on LAM until 6 months with a less than 2% chance of pregnancy. So now is the perfect time to get started learning NFP, so you'll be all ready to go when you actually need it in a few months.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search