Another Charting/CM Question!

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So I had my pap test this morning, and this evening I had a good batch of EWCM, some clear, some streaked, but no spotting surprisingly. Anyways, could this be from all the cervix scraping? I will definately chart it as EWCM, but I'm just wondering if the production of it could have been in response to my pap test or what you've heard others experienced after their pap tests?
December 13th, 2007, 08:30 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can expect weirdness after a Pap for sure (especially if any lube was used on the speculum or if the DR did a pelvic exam with lube). The same way you mark your temps as "disturbed" when you sleep in or something, you can also consider your mucus observations "disturbed" for the day. Chart what you observe anyway, but don't consider it entirely accurate.

December 14th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
ok good to know.....i'm sure he used some kinda of lubrication for the test......i wasn't looking though........

oh also - when i told him i was using FAM to avoid pregnancy he said i was using "The wrong technique" and that its only used for women who are trying to get pregnant. And that I have a 30% chance of getting pregnant using that method (which he referred to as the calendar method - i corrected him). mind you, we use condoms all the time too, but what is he talking about 30%?! or does he just not know what he's talking about??
December 14th, 2007, 09:54 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
ok good to know.....i'm sure he used some kinda of lubrication for the test......i wasn't looking though........

oh also - when i told him i was using FAM to avoid pregnancy he said i was using "The wrong technique" and that its only used for women who are trying to get pregnant. And that I have a 30% chance of getting pregnant using that method (which he referred to as the calendar method - i corrected him). mind you, we use condoms all the time too, but what is he talking about 30%?! or does he just not know what he's talking about??[/b]

Sadly, the majority of doctors (even OB/Gyn's) don't really understand fertility. Hopefully this will begin to change and I think medical schools are starting to cover this topic better.

Regarding 30%, I'm pretty sure he's spouting Rhythm/Calender stats. Even if you corrected him, it's probably all the same in his mind and he doesn't understand the difference. However, FAM still carries the failure rate of whatever barrier you use...so condoms during the fertile time would leave you with about a 17% chance of pregnancy (not 30%).

FAM has a fluctuating effectiveness rate depending on how it's used, you know? A couple using barriers during the infertile times and avoiding the fertile time completely is going to have a lower chance of pregnancy than a couple using condoms during the fertile time. And a couple using withdrawal during the fertile time is going to have an even higher chance of pregnancy than either of the condom couples. Does that make sense? So if a barrier is used during the fertile time, you can rely on the effectiveness rate of that barrier. If abstinence is practiced during the fertile time, then the effectiveness rate climbs a little closer to that of NFP (96-99%). It fluctuates depending on how a woman uses her charting information - depending on the BEHAVIOR that accompanies the charting.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search