TTC a Girl

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2007, 11:08 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
Ok, I must be having a slow moment because I'm really confused as to the mechanics of TTC a girl. It says in the TCOYF book, you need to DTD a few days prior to ovulation (the closer you DTD during ovulation, your chancees of having a boy). So, my questions is this:

If your CM is not EW, then how do sperm survive if it isn't condusive for them to survive, KWIM? So, let's take this cycle for example:

My predicted ovulation date is the 20th. I would technically start to try now until around the 17th, right?. But, my CM as of now is just lotiony and is not EW in consistancy. "Girl" sperm is technically stronger, so are they able to survive in that type of atmostphere better than "boy" sperm?
December 15th, 2007, 12:08 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Ok, I must be having a slow moment because I'm really confused as to the mechanics of TTC a girl. It says in the TCOYF book, you need to DTD a few days prior to ovulation (the closer you DTD during ovulation, your chancees of having a boy). So, my questions is this:

If your CM is not EW, then how do sperm survive if it isn't condusive for them to survive, KWIM? So, let's take this cycle for example:

My predicted ovulation date is the 20th. I would technically start to try now until around the 17th, right?. But, my CM as of now is just lotiony and is not EW in consistancy. "Girl" sperm is technically stronger, so are they able to survive in that type of atmostphere better than "boy" sperm?[/b]

Maybe this will help. EWCM is not the *only* fertile mucus, it's the most fertile. The mucus at the beginning of the fertile phase is often sticky, lotiony, creamy, cloudy, etc (every woman is unique)...and this mucus has the ability to lock away sperm cells in the cervical crypts and nourish them until ovulation occurs a matter of days later. It also sorts defective sperm cells from healthy ones. Later on, closer to ovulation...the clear slippery mucus arrives (or EWCM). This mucus provides channels through which the sperm cells can travel quickly to the waiting ova. The sperm cells which were "locked away" in the cervical crypts are released into the channels that the EWCM provides. So if *any* mucus is present, EWCM or not - it IS conducive to sperm survival.

Now in terms of increasing the odds of conceiving a girl, don't rely on predictions. That won't help, because what if your body doesn't ovulate on schedule (most of us don't)? Track your CM carefully every day. Once you notice the presence of CM of any kind, even the sticky/cloudy/creamy stuff - then make sure to BD. Once the mucus becomes clear and slippery, WAIT!!! This increases your chances of a girl because you'll be relying on the stored away sperm for conception, and if all goes as it should...the male sperm will have died by the time ovulation occurs, leaving the girl ones.

Again, ALL mucus is potentially fertile because it can keep sperm cells alive for several days. Not just the EWCM stuff! Does that clear up the confusion?
December 17th, 2007, 05:50 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
Yeah, I think it does. Thanks.
December 17th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
great explanation, i think my dh will wanna "try for a boy" when we end up ttc, so i read that part of TCOYF too........interesting!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search