ovulation question

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've always had a 28 day cycle. Does that mean I always ovulate on day 14? I'm still working on this charting/temping stuff, so I just want to have some background knowledge until I get the hang of it.

Thanks!

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

December 20th, 2007, 03:41 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I've always had a 28 day cycle. Does that mean I always ovulate on day 14?[/b]

NO!!!! That's a "Rhythm Method" mentality and is not a reliable way to approach fertility for avoiding purposes. Some women with 28 day cycles might ovulate closer to CD 12 or 13 (they have longer luteal phases). Other women with 28 day cycles cycles might ovulate as late as CD 18 or 19 (they have shorter luteal phases). And some women with 28 day cycles are completely annovulatory...they don't ovulate at all (this is rare, but they exist).

That said, even the most regular women are bound to ovulate a little later or earlier than they *usually* do from time to time. This is why tracking fertility is so important, even if you are very regular. Rather than make assumptions about when ovulation will occur based on your cycle length or past cycles, it's far more accurate to monitor it as it happens. Every day. Every cycle. Even if a woman usually ovulates on day 14, her time of fertility can fluctuate from cycle to cycle. Her mucus might begin on CD10 one month - and that is the beginning of her fertile phase for that month. Her mucus might begin on CD 8 another month, and that's the beginning of her fertile phase for that month.

Does that answer your question, or just make it more confusing?

December 20th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I understand. Thanks!

December 20th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I'm sorry to be such a pain, and I know I just need to read the TCOYF book so it will answer my questions. I'll do that over Christmas break, but I just wanted to ask a few more questions before I delve into that.

Can you look at my chart and give me any ideas? http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1e075a

I also checked my CM tonight at CD9. It was white and somewhat clumpy. I might describe it as the white part of the egg white that you get sometimes when you're cooking an egg. It wasn't stretchy or thin.

I really appreciate you putting up with me when I'm trying to learn. Thanks!

December 21st, 2007, 07:40 AM
What is it you would like to know about your chart?

As for the CM, Fertility Friend doesn't really have adequate mucus categories to choose from for avoiding purposes, so you just have to pick the one that is the *closest* to what you observed. Did you get the Ovusoft software with your book? It is a much more comprehensive charting program!

The fact that you are having *any* CM at all means you are now potentially fertile until you experience 3 full dry days again or until 3 days past confirming ovulation, whichever happens first.
December 21st, 2007, 04:04 PM
With my chart, I wasn't sure if the temperatures indicated that ovulation might be happening soon.

I did get software with my book, but it's only for a 15 day trial. I didn't want to use it just yet until I get more money for the full version, possibly next month.

Thanks for your help!

December 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM
Quote:
With my chart, I wasn't sure if the temperatures indicated that ovulation might be happening soon.

I did get software with my book, but it's only for a 15 day trial. I didn't want to use it just yet until I get more money for the full version, possibly next month.

Thanks for your help![/b]

Oh ok, gotcha! Temperatures don't do anything to show that ovulation will happen soon, they only confirm ovulation AFTER it's already happened.
December 21st, 2007, 07:35 PM
Okay. Thanks! I really need to read that book!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search