How much do you pay?

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2009, 02:05 AM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
For those of you who don't prepare your own tax returns or don't file online.... how much do you pay to have your returns prepared? Would you categorize your situation as pretty simple/straight forward, somewhat complex, or fairly complex (multiple deductions, etc)?

I normally do my own online through TaxAct but was debating on having them done for me this year just to compare what they come up with versus what I come up with. Ours are about as simple as they come (I think)... pretty low income (lower 30k/year range combined), standard W-2's, 1 adult w/ non-taxable social security disability income, mortgage interest, and I think that's it.

I was shocked to hear a friend tell me today that this week she paid $300 to have hers done and don't think hers would be a lot more difficult since our situations aren't that different except higher income and no disability

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
February 7th, 2009, 05:42 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think we paid about $400 last year--our is VERY complex though. Rental properties (different states), 401ks, IRAs (traditional/Roth), Short term stocks, Longer term stocks, MMA, Savings, College Funds and the big one---DH gets his salary paid in the states by a USA company but were we live and have our housing/food/gas/car paid by overseas companies (about 3-9 different ones in a year) plus he get a few different type bonuses (forgein and chief--they get taxed different) we have expenses that we right off from work but work pays him back bumping his gross up...its very confusing. We tried to do our own last year and came up with 1/10th the refund the CPA got us---so her pay made up the difference and then some!
February 7th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
FIL does ours for free Ours is really simple and could do them ourselves but nice not too.
February 7th, 2009, 09:12 AM
JCT2005's Avatar Teddy's Mom
Free. There's a place in town that does it for free for lower income families and senior citizens. They won't do very complicated taxes though.

February 7th, 2009, 10:51 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Don't go somewhere like H&R block! You may as well do them yourself!

Last year we paid $152 to get ours done

The most we've ever paid was $253:

$65---form 1040
$41---itemized deductions
$16---net profit from business
$20---additional taxes on retirement plan
$20---additional child tax credit
$15---education credit
$48---E-file fee
$30---Form 540, state tax

I work from home & dh is in law enforcement so he gets all kinds of writeoffs that I didn't know about. We go to a cpa that specializes in law enforcement personnel, so she knows all the ins-and-outs, and is absolutely worth every penny.

February 7th, 2009, 06:00 PM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
We stopped in to Liberty Tax today and they did them for me for $174 minus a $25 competitor coupon (from Jackson Hewitt) that was attached to my W2. Not too bad but I found out I must have been doing ok with them in previous years because the refund was pretty similar. The federal was a little higher this year but the state was quite a bit lower. When we get our packet back (the one thing I didn't like about this place is I have to go back in a few days to get the paper copies of my return ) and will compare theirs to mine from last year. The smaller MN refund may just be from having a couple thousand more in income this year.

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
February 28th, 2009, 06:38 PM
roon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just lurking I got mine done last year by an accountant who does them on the side (she works at a big accounting firm in the city). She only charged $75 and mine were pretty complex last year...

This year I did them myself because they weren't as complicated... I used the free file forms you can get to through irs.gov and filed online.

March 1st, 2009, 10:54 AM
jentanne
I know you have already resolved this, but just thought I might post in case anyone else had the same question. I always did my own and I probably lost a lot of money doing that. I decided to use turbo tax the first year DH and I got married and he said, nah, let's go to my person. So we went to her and she got us another $1000 in refund! I was not correctly deducting (or the software wasn't) daycare, college expenses, and student loan interest. So since then we go to her. She charges $150 but with as much as we get back in refunds it is well worth it to make sure we get all the money back. When my loans are paid off and the kids are out of daycare I may go back to doing them myself.
March 2nd, 2009, 12:23 AM
BBKT's Avatar Veteran
I paid $460 this year, but it was WAY worth it! I use Liberty Tax and the branch owner has always done them for us herself because they are way complicated- mortgage, rental prop, my own business, student loans, stocks, tons of itemized deductions, military tax-free pay, personal los writeoffs, and other crazy stuff. Doesn't matter how crazy the year was, she always finds a way to get al our taxes back for us.

7/2013
March 2nd, 2009, 07:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DH paid $250. Ours are straightforward. I've always done my own taxes before we got married but DH is afraid we'll get audited and I will miss something. He pays for it though, so it's one less thing I've got to do.

</div>
March 15th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our are very straight forward my sister is an accountant and does them for us for free.
April 9th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Bre+Will=Reid
I would call ours mildly complex this year. DH does ours online via H&R Block and I think we pay around $40. If our situation ever got more complex, I wouldn't hesitate to pay an accounting a few hundred dollars to ensure that it was done correctly.
April 9th, 2009, 04:34 PM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ours are pretty complex because DH is self-employed clergy but my dad is an accountant so he and I do them together.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search