Car

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2009, 11:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have two internships for my degree (I'm doing one right now). We got really lucky and all is working out this semester. Next semester though not so much. I'm going to have to drive 30 minutes each way to another site totally out of the way. I have no idea what site yet (Wont know until April, and can't contact to figure out hours until August). But with DH's work schedule and my work schedule, and my internship schedule it'd be way easier to have a second car just to finish up this internship (not long term.......) I'd really like a second car just August to December. Its 5 months. Hubby wont use public transportation, but there is a bus line that runs from our house to his work. I cross state lines, so I couldn't take advantage of it,
We're just going to use SOOO much gas and put so many miles, but I don't know what an alternative would be aside leasing or buying which are all over 5 months! I'm trying to "think outside the box" here on what else we could do. Then again I might get lucky! LOL! And we will just be able to tweek our schedules just right.
March 21st, 2009, 07:05 PM
~Samantha~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Samantha~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Samantha~
I am not sure it is a total great idea but u could say the cost of doing those rent to own car lots, they usually pay all upkeep and all and u pay so much weekly or monthly then if u decide u dont want it there is no peneltys

My Chaotic Blog
March 21st, 2009, 08:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Those rent to own places are huge ripoffs though!

Look for something cheap, but realiable. Use it and then sell it again.
March 21st, 2009, 08:46 PM
gctattoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Kris. Get something wicked cheap but reliable. Then when you're done with it, sell it. You'll always be able to find a buyer for a cheap car.
March 22nd, 2009, 06:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Where do you look for a cheap yet reliable car? We've always just done the dealership or carmax thing.
March 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
the paper, craigslist

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
March 22nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto!
March 24th, 2009, 08:20 AM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For sure, something cheap. Ask around to people you know too. We bought our $400 van off some church members.

March 26th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Mommy2Aiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We bought a Jeep Cherokee for $1300. We have to pay my car off but I do not want any more car payments. If you bought a car that is financed now it would just defeat the purpose of getting rid of J's truck. In the long run you would of set yourself back even more. That is after you subtract the loss from the trade in and then the loss after you drive a financed car off of the lot. JMO.

March 27th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Aiden View Post
We bought a Jeep Cherokee for $1300. We have to pay my car off but I do not want any more car payments. If you bought a car that is financed now it would just defeat the purpose of getting rid of J's truck. In the long run you would of set yourself back even more. That is after you subtract the loss from the trade in and then the loss after you drive a financed car off of the lot. JMO.
Exactly that is my thought process if we financed a car it'd be stupid to have sold J's truck. Although, his truck was starting to get mechanical issues that exceeded the value of the car to fix. So at the very least we got money out of the truck before the mechanical issues became so bad we couldn't repair them or sell it.

I'm working on getting my internship site switched around for next semester but the school is being less then cooperative. urg! No way am I driving way the heck out there 3 days a week!
March 28th, 2009, 05:42 PM
~Samantha~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Samantha~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Samantha~
i hope u get it all worked out

My Chaotic Blog
March 29th, 2009, 03:10 PM
jentanne
There is some kind of website... it may be called ride share, or something like that... but basically it is like a time share thing for cars. I don't know ANY of the details but I know it is sharing cars or rides or something. Maybe that could work?
March 30th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'll have to check out that website. I know there is similar things on criags list *sp* There is also a local mommy group I'm sure could figure out a ride share too.

I've asked the school to reassign my internship site. We'll see. They don't want too though. But it just is too far away.
April 9th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Bre+Will=Reid
You could probably find an older Toyota or Honda for like $1500 that you could re-sell for abou the same price or just slightly less. Dh and I had an ugly (but decent running order) old van that we sold to a woman for $1000 because she needed something for just a few months and it was cheaper than renting something or taking a hit buying from a dealership.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search