refinancing your mortgage

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Does anyone have any advice on refinancing your mortgage? I know about the online calculators you can use, but I was wondering if anyone has some advice of things that might be good to know.

A friend at work that used to work in the mortgage business says you shouldn't refinance unless you can get 2 points lower. What do you think? We would be about 1.6-1.8 % lower

We talked with USAA. From looking online I was prepared to pay approx $3000-$4000 in closing fees etc. I calculated that we'd even out in a little over 2 years on those fees. When DH talked to them though it was going to be more like $10,000! Some of that are escrow startup funds - we have funds in our current escrow but we wouldn't get then back until after closing. USAA will roll a lot of those into the new loan - but what is the point of refinancing if the new loan is going to be $10,000 higher than it was!

Does anyone know any good places to refinance with? Thanks!

April 7th, 2009, 09:17 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a big fan of Ditech.com. We've done a couple loans with them now.

April 10th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
OK, I'll check them out. Thanks!

April 27th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Momofapeanut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are in the middle of refinancing under the Homeowner Affordability and stability plan. We are not in any kind of foreclosure situation. We are going through the same financial institution that we got our original loan and we do not have to provide proof of income or pay any fees. Apparently, because we've always made our payments on time and we have not had any real changes to our situation (ie we're both still employed by the same people, have roughly the same income) they will use our previous appraisal and just file under this plan.

Here's some details:tg-33: Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan

There are a few things in order to qualify for this: you need credit scores about 620 and no delinquencies, made payments on time, same financial situation (same jobs/income), there is a debt to income ratio limit too and you need to have a frannie or freddie backed mortgage which you can verify here: Making Home Affordable - Home Affordable Refinancing - Home Affordable Modification

Anyway, this is what we're trying to do. We hear back today if we can make it happen! It will drop our rate from 6.625% to 5%.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search