Not so hard hard decision...

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2009, 09:08 AM
jentanne
I have taught summer school for the past 2 years. I make what amounts to an extra paycheck by doing so. I still get my regular check plus they add in the summer school money so it is like I get two months salary at once.

Well, I do it because I only have to work 4 hours a day for 20 days to do it. To me that is very little work for very good pay!!

However, this year they are changing things. I would still be paid at the same rate, but the days will be 35 and the hours may be 5 hours instead of 4. So, this means I will make a lot more money, but it also means I lose pretty much all of my summer. Still I have to think what would I do otherwise? If I have figured it up correctly with the new hours and more days I would stand to make about $4,400 which would be free and clear... no bills would have to come out of that because I would still get my regular salary too. I would be paying some tax out of that, but I would still have at the very least an extra $4000 at the end of summer for basically working only half days.

I guess my biggest concern is how miserable I will be. Last year I literally had to count up the money I had made each day to keep myself going. These are the students who have spent all year goofing off and they do it all summer as well. Plus, save 5 days, I will have these kids twice as long. So, it kind of is a hard decision for me. I just don't think I can pass up that kind of money though!! What are your thoughts?
April 18th, 2009, 07:17 PM
lizard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would say that the first thing that you need to remember is that money isn't everything.

Next, are you counting on the extra money for anything? Are you using it to pay off debts, or for savings?

Finally, is the headache it will cause worth missing the extra time you could spend with your daughter during the summer?

10/31/05 (EDD 5/15/06), 4/17/06 (EDD 11/13/06)
Chemical p/g 1/11/08

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search