WWYD: car or credit card

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Torn right now. We are really really struggling with one car, and its not looking any better upon discussing internship sites or trying to match work schedules. It is just getting crazy. We will be done paying off a credit card this summer/fall and are paying $250. We will have extra money in September for sure for a down payment - maybe before - although still will not be a significant amount (< 1,000, our down payment on our current car was $300, so planning something similar). We're contemplating instead of snowballing the $250 to our next credit card using it to get a 2nd car (actually I'll be working a few more hours at work which will be about half the payment after taxes).

I know a 2nd car is a luxury, but with our work schedules, and my school schedule it is really now allowing us the flexibility for one car anymore. I might try for a 2nd job this summer to save up for a down payment in August/September. We planned to buy a second car in 2010 anyways (in budget to buy). IDK, what are ya'll thoughts we're totally on the fence if its really worth it or if we can manage.
April 19th, 2009, 06:39 PM
lizard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are you the one whose DH has access to public transportation? IF so, I would tell him to suck it up and deal with it, it is only for a short while. If there are no other options for you, then a second vehicle might be worth it as well, since time is worth something too and neither of you should have to sit for hours waiting on the other to pick them up.

10/31/05 (EDD 5/15/06), 4/17/06 (EDD 11/13/06)
Chemical p/g 1/11/08

April 20th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
He does have access, he just wont do it. Believe me, I've told him to suck it up and deal with it. Thats kind of where we are at, we're spending a ton of time waiting or playing the juggling act. I mean, we've done great for a year having only one car. We've really made it through a lot of obstacles. I really don't think its a "need" I'm sure we could make do still having one car - but having the added flexiblity to stay late at work or go in early or to get to class early and use the computer lab would be insainly helpful.

As it stands right now, I can't leave work until 6pm. Class starts at 6:30, 3 days a week. I can't leave work earlier then 6pm, and most days its 6:10 by the time I clock out. It takes me 10 minutes to get home and drop off DD and DH, then another 25-30 minutes to get to school, another 5ish to find a parking spot and walk to class. I loss points for class being late, in the course a semester it would account for at least one letter grade. So that is kind of what I am looking at. There is NO WAY my boss will let me leave before 6pm. No way. Even if we are in the car at 6pm, we still don't get home til 6:10. :Sigh: And my oh so wonderful hubby is not trustworthy of used cars. URG! sometimes I think he's a lunatic - said with the most love ever!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search