Can I get some advice?

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2009, 10:48 AM
ilovemy3wikids
I am at a loss on what to do. We have alot of medical debt and most is at collections. We send payments every month and do the best we can, most of them are ok with this as long as we pay every month. However one hospital sent us to collections. The bill was for 4,000 and we've been sending then 400-500 a month. We just got a letter from a lawyer saying that the collection turned us to them and they are going to sure for the rest (2,500). What can we do? We just don't have that laying around....and we have nothing to sell that could get us close to that kind of money. We were trying to pay this, I don't get why they did this
April 25th, 2009, 08:06 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ITA with the pp, and I really wouldn't worry about it. I'm sorry that that letter was so distressing. Even on the slim chance they would actually take you to court (which there is nothing they could do cause as she said you're making payments), if you're making 400-500/month, you'll have it paid off before anything happens.

I don't know if you've tried this, but have you called and tried to set up a payment plan? I can't believe that they wouldn't let you pay it out since you've been making regular payments.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."

Last edited by C&K'sMama; April 25th, 2009 at 08:09 PM.
April 26th, 2009, 07:35 AM
ilovemy3wikids
When we called the collection agency they said they don't accept payments, they only accept it in full and wanted it all right then. At that time the bill was so high, we couldn't do that so we've just been sending 400-500 a month and they had been cashing the checks and crediting the account, then we go the letter from the lawyer saying the collection agency gave them the account
April 26th, 2009, 08:12 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really wouldn't worry too much about it. I would find and keep all the updated bills showing thatyou're making payments on it.

Honestly it sounds like a lot of hooey, we've had much larger bills go much longer without any payments. I've gotten letters saying everything from they're going to sue me to they'll come take my things (none of which I owed money on). It never happened, they like to be big and scary. Worst that can happen is they take you to court (which I still believe would be after you actaully finish paying it off) and order you to pay, guess what you're already doing that, so it's a waste of everybody's time.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."

Last edited by C&K'sMama; April 26th, 2009 at 08:15 AM.
April 26th, 2009, 07:23 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Just make sure that you keep the records of your payments, there is nothing they can do since you are making payments.. I'm sorry the letter stressed you out!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search