LIght at the end of the tunnel

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2009, 08:24 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's Feb 2008, I have a 4 month old baby and we're living paycheck to paycheck with hubby and barely cutting that. Each of us have 5-7 defaulted accounts (credit cards, phone accounts, hospital bills, etc) on top of our current regular bills and new car (no running car at the time of purchase). We have hand-me-down furniture and not even much of that, our home is sparse.

I decided to buckle down and change our situation. Hubby deployed. I moved in with his mother (which I regret fully cause I hate that woman, but for us financially it was a God-send). I cut out every bill, even suspending our phone service and hoping to catch his calls on his mother's house phone (which if you're military you realize what a sacrifice that is).

After 10 months all but one defaulted account is paid in full. (the remaining one we're fighting with indefinatly cause they won't give me a balance owed, it'll be paid off when we can get minimal cooperation).

After 14 months, we have zero c/c balance anywhere. We're still making payments on now 2 new cars, but even with those our bills/income ratio is 70%. DD has a saving account of $1400. Our whole house is fully furnished (living room, DD's room and master bed are all new furniture).

By the end of this year we will be able to start some retirement savings. The cars are expected to be paid off in 4 years (which at this point they each have less than 10,000 miles so we expect them to last past the next 4 years). DD will have over $3000 and we'll becontributing $100/month comfortably.

What a change huh?

And we've adopted a new way of budgeting our money... I think someone one here posted it (I'm totally not trying to take credit for this brilliant woman's idea, I just don't remember who I read it from).

We have a spreadsheet with a tab for every month. In that tab put what income we have for the month (she said shedid a few months at a time cause her income wasn't consistant, but ours is so I do almost a year). Then I put what is coming our of each pay period. The first of the month is rent, water, groceries, and gas, middle of the month... is a long list. Under those I can put one time expenses that aren't typically budgeted for (getting the dog fixed, one time trip to ND in June, new shoes for DH, ETC). Below that all the debts are subtracted from the income. It helps us stay on track and know what our next couple weeks look like (ramen and water or nightly olive garden, lol)

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."

Last edited by C&K'sMama; May 12th, 2009 at 09:15 PM.
May 12th, 2009, 09:42 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's great! I love hearing success stories!

May 13th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Bre+Will=Reid
That is awesome! I bet it feels wonderful! Thanks for your post- it gives us hope.

I use spreadsheets too. Its the only way I can keep track of stuff.
May 19th, 2009, 05:55 AM
lillermom99's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great job! That is amazing and a testament to what sacrifice and hard work can do. Congrats again!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search