HELP!! New here

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I am new to these boards and stumbled upon this thread...We are always broke and we both have good jobs. We are selling our house now ( I know bad time to do it) but we need to find soemthing closer to my husbands new job..He was laid off in Noven=meber and lucked out with a new one. We cant catch up and we need to raise out credit score 1 stupid point before we sell the house...can anyone help us....PLEASE
I found this i guess i am supposed to put it on
Income
Your income:
Dh/SO's income: 3200.
Other income: 2000.

Living expenses
~Rent/Mort pymt: 1505.00
~Electric:150.
~Home gas:90.
~Water:90.
~Cable:29.
~Gardener:
~Internet:40. (need it for work)
~Home phone: 25
~Cell phone:60. Hubby needs it for work
~Groceries: 1200.
~Other household items:
~Medical expenses (co-pays, prescriptions): 50 a month
~Car gas/transportation expense: 400 a month
~Car maintenance:
~Car insurance: 98 a month
~Other insurance:
~Child care: 500. only till august then he goes to preschool
~Diapers: trained recently THANK GOD
~Other baby expense ___________:
~Preschool/schooling:
~Pets: 40 a month
~Eating out: we never can
~Entertainment: yeah right
~Spending/pocket money:
~Misc spending:
~Other ____________:
~Other ____________:

Debts-Please list minimum payment, amt you usually pay, balance, interest rate. If you are past due or have special financing (0% interest), please indicate that as well.
~Car payment #1:
~Car payment #2:
~Student loan:
~Credit card #1:
~Credit card #2:
~Credit card #3:
~Credit card #4:
~Credit card #5:
~Credit card #6:
~Other debt #1 ____900 on hubbys________:
~Other debt #2 ____4000 on mine________:
~Other debt #3 ______4000 daughters hospital bills______:

Goals: (examples: new car, baby, to be a SAHM, vacation, retirement, etc)
I want to save for:
1. fix our credit
2. get a good loan for our next house
3. be able to save SOMETHING

I have to say..we got into a total hole that we cant get out of..we have not been able to save anything something always comes up. We pay a ton in overdraft protection fees..Its insane
Read more: "Need help with your budget or finances? - JustMommies Message Boards" - http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...xzz0FsflyjAM&A (Need help with your budget or finances?)

Last edited by topbiller70; May 18th, 2009 at 10:46 AM. Reason: had to put in expenses
May 18th, 2009, 05:15 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know about the rest of it, but 1200/mo on groceries OUCH... we're on the high side of feeding a family of 3 and we pay 500/mo (we make all 3 meals a day from scratch). You could use coupons, plan meals around sales, buy in bulk and freeze... 1200/mo WOW

You have no car payments or credit cards?? Good for you!

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
May 18th, 2009, 05:28 PM
lizard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First, how many are in your family? I'm asking because your grocery cost is so high!

The first thing that I will suggest to you is to go on a cash diet. With the expenses you have listed and the income you have, there is no way you should be living paycheck to paycheck, or paying any of your money to the bank for fees. Start taking out the money you need in CASH and only spend that amount. Once it is gone, it is gone! Stick to what you have budgeted (what you have is fine for now, until we get one together for you) and don't spend more than that.

You also need to write down what you are really spending money on. Money will run away from you if you don't keep tabs on it. If you are living paycheck to paycheck, it must be going somewhere. So, for at least one month, start writing down everything you spend money on, down to the penny. You may be surprised how things can add up. This will help you to know if your budget needs to be adjusted somewhere, or if you need to cut back in some areas.

10/31/05 (EDD 5/15/06), 4/17/06 (EDD 11/13/06)
Chemical p/g 1/11/08

Last edited by lizard; May 18th, 2009 at 05:36 PM.
May 18th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I have 5 people in my family and that is because I stopped shopping once a month when we lost a car..we had to buy another car...so I need to save up to do that again I am just having a hard time doing that.
May 19th, 2009, 04:43 AM
lillermom99's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What are you buying at the grocery store? Are you buying lots of quick fix foods? Those can add up really quickly. 1200 a month in groceries is extremely high and that is an area you can drastically cut and quickly! Look at your store ads every single week and make your meal plans based off of what is on sale. I think with a little work and planning you could easily cut your spending down to more than half of what you are spending now.

Your money is going somewhere and I think you are frustrated because you are not sure where it is going. We do envelop budgeting right now and it is working. Set your budget and pull cash out and put it into the designated envelopes. When the money is gone its gone! You will know where your money is going.

May 19th, 2009, 07:20 AM
lizard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Income
Your income:
Dh/SO's income: 3200.
Other income: 2000.

Total Income: 5200

Living expenses
~Rent/Mort pymt: 1505.00 $1505
~Electric:150. $150
~Home gas:90. $90
~Water:90. $90
~Cable:29. $29
~Gardener:
~Internet:40. (need it for work) $40
~Home phone: 25 $25
~Cell phone:60. Hubby needs it for work $60
~Groceries: 1200. $500- we usually figure $100/person/month
~Other household items:
~Medical expenses (co-pays, prescriptions): 50 a month $50
~Car gas/transportation expense: 400 a month $400- this seems high, is it because of your hubby's transportation??
~Car maintenance:
~Car insurance: 98 a month $98
~Other insurance:
~Child care: 500. only till august then he goes to preschool $500
~Diapers: trained recently THANK GOD
~Other baby expense ___________:
~Preschool/schooling:
~Pets: 40 a month $40
~Eating out: we never can $50
~Entertainment: yeah right $50
~Spending/pocket money: $50- $25/each
~Misc spending: $50 for little things that come up
~Other ____________:
~Other ____________:

Total Expenses: $3777
Leftover for Debts: $1423

Debts-Please list minimum payment, amt you usually pay, balance, interest rate. If you are past due or have special financing (0% interest), please indicate that as well.
~Car payment #1:
~Car payment #2:
~Student loan:
~Credit card #1:
~Credit card #2:
~Credit card #3:
~Credit card #4:
~Credit card #5:
~Credit card #6:
~Other debt #1 ____900 on hubbys________:
~Other debt #2 ____4000 on mine________:
~Other debt #3 ______4000 daughters hospital bills______:

With your income and expenses, there is no way you should be running out of money each month. The only area I decreased your spending in was groceries, but even if you would continue to spend $1200/month on them you would still have over $900 left each month!! For the first month, I would recommend SAVING the leftover money. That way, if something does come up that is not budgeted for, you don't end up in the hole farther. If you stay on track and don't let your extra money run away from you, then you should be able to have all of your debts paid off in 7 months.

10/31/05 (EDD 5/15/06), 4/17/06 (EDD 11/13/06)
Chemical p/g 1/11/08

May 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM
thanks ladies I am going to try the envelope and the budget you laid out.Your right there is no way I should have no money..we work our *** off and never have anything its stupid..yeah my DH has to drive almost 2 hours to work until we sell the house. When he got laid off the was not much work around for him ( He works with helicopters) so luckily he found something but its a drive...when we move it should ease up..The groceries is going to be my main goal..If I could shop once a month like I used to I* think it could work out. we are trying to cut back now to save up to do that..ill keep you posted on how it goes
May 21st, 2009, 04:48 AM
lillermom99's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Even shopping each week shouldn't run up the bill that high if you buy what is on sale and base your meal plans around that! You can do this!

May 21st, 2009, 07:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
actually most times shopping weekly will save more money than shopping monthly. You are more likely to find more things on sale on a weekly basis.

Pay attention to whats on sale and buy more than you think you need, to hold you over til the next sale

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search