How much do you allow in your budget for food?

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2010, 04:49 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are doing Dave Ramsey and I allowed $400 a mth for a family of 4 but is this suppose to include paper towels,toilet paper,paper plates,trash bags,cleaning supplies,shampoo,bath soap,razors,and all of those types of items? We do have a toiletries budget of $20 and Cosmetics $20. I just dont think that 400 for food is quite enough. We live in West Tx and it cost more for food here because they have to ship it in so far.

What are you guys doing?

June 17th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Lynsann's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We budget about $450 for the 4 of us. That is supposed to include everything. Basically, it's my Walmart and Sam's Club budget, LOL, where I can get everything. We do pretty good with it most of the time.
June 17th, 2010, 11:09 PM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
We budget about $200 for food. Toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, razors, shaving cream ... All those things, we get free pretty much. I am very into couponing, CVS, Walgreens, Target - I have a stockpile going. I haven't had to buy those things in a very long time.
Our beautiful miracle baby..
Welcomed after 2 years of TTC.
June 18th, 2010, 07:13 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
Ditto to Ashleigh! Clip coupons and search for the best deals. When you strike upon a really great deal buy as much as you can and stockpile for later. We're a soon-to-be family of four and we still manage to keep our grocery budget under $400 a month (just barely). Another thing that helps is if there are any local farms and such. I purchase a quarter cow once a year (which costs us a few hundred dollars) but then I don't have to buy any beef for almost a year. I also buy local eggs in bulk with my mom/gram/aunts and then we split them up. I also trade meat and eggs for fresh veggies and fruits whenever possible. Getting to know any local (and I use that term loosely - we drive 3+ hours each way for our cow) farmers is a great way to start cutting down your food budget. Fresh food lasts much longer so there is very little waste!

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
June 18th, 2010, 09:24 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Check out the frugal mommies board. You can usually get things like bathroom products, cleaning supplies, OTC meds, etc. for free by combining sales with coupons and rebates at drug stores (CVS, Walgreens, RiteAid).

June 28th, 2010, 04:28 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I need to read my dave ramsey book.

I allow us around $100 a week for 4

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

July 5th, 2010, 09:03 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
We do $400 a month for a family of 4. Most of the time I can stay in that. I do best when I take cash and can't go over. I do buy sale items and cheap items when possible. We also aren't doing diapers anymore and I think that helps. But not sure. Coupons are great. I am terrible at them though.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

July 6th, 2010, 10:37 AM
sunnysky24's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jess~ View Post
Check out the frugal mommies board. You can usually get things like bathroom products, cleaning supplies, OTC meds, etc. for free by combining sales with coupons and rebates at drug stores (CVS, Walgreens, RiteAid).
Great idea! i coupon to the max at Rite Aide Walgreens Target etc! There are many forums out there. My first step was to make a list of items i use and what brands i buy or will use. Then combining sales with coupons and rebates I was able to drop my budget to under $150 a month! I am pretty sure it has been lower than that over the last year or so but I have used the extra money to buy diapers at extremely low prices. Baby is due in August and I have almost 3700 diapers. And yeah call me crazy but I kept track of the two previous kids and how many diapers of what sizes and did an average. So I diapered this child for about 1/8th of the cost! you can do it. PM me with any major or minor questions you may have. Between Dave Ramsey and John Rosmunf my life has slowed down and become MUCH easier to live and enjoy@!

]
July 28th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I budget $600 a month for 3 of us but that's 2 adults 1 child and my son is on a specialized high fiber diet so I have to buy a lot of name brand things, that also includes dog food for 3 large breed dogs and cat food for 2 cats, ALL Super Wal-Mart, regular grocery store, and Costco shopping per month, so all toothpaste, milk, lunch stuff, paper towels, toilet paper, dog food, cat food, cat litter, everything that isn't a bill or a utility basically.

(We did/do Dave Ramsey too kudos! LOVE him!).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search