Planning Financially for a New Baby

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2010, 11:30 AM
If you considered only the financial implications of having children, you might end up childless. There's no two ways about it: having a child is very expensive. Financial experts say a home is the biggest investment most people will ever make, but they're forgetting about the cost of raising children, which far exceeds the average home price in the US.
September 6th, 2010, 05:03 PM
momtothe3rdpower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
very true! I can't think about what we pay for daycare, it makes me sad
September 6th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it just depends on the home life and what you do with your child, sign them up for, if you help with college, etc. Also a child isn't an investment as you get nothing in return nor can you sell them (well not supposed to haha), so they're really not "investments". It also depends on what your home is worth.

But like we do not pay for daycare and I still bring in a full time paycheck, I make sure not to blow a bunch on clothes so I spend around $200 a year in clothes for our son and $70 a year in shoes. Now he does play baseball which costs but that's our choice and isn't very expensive, same with Cub Scouts. School supplies everything he needs to learn, so the only others is his medical care, dental care, food, and college fun.

Our house more than likely exceeds what it will cost to raise our son I would drastically imagine...if not exceeds comes very close.

Just depends on each individual household IMO on if that's a true statement or not. More of a variable statement I would say.
September 7th, 2010, 06:53 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know what you mean. Children are expensive but so worth it

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

September 20th, 2010, 06:42 AM
bunnybaker's Avatar Super Mommy
We're WTTC partially to save up so we won't be pinched when our lil man or lil lady arrives.
It is a large financial consideration, but I don't think the cost of raising a child should/would stop people from having them.

=

September 22nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
I would add that if people considered the actual responsibility of raising a child, that might be a deterrent. You are responsible for bringing another person into this world, who will grow up with what you teach them, knowingly and unknowingly.

I don't feel raising a child has to be expensive money wise but it is time intensive!

Tags
college , investments , ira , kidira , savings

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search