How well do you stick to your budget?

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
DH and I still have a hard time sticking to our budget. It really makes me upset, because he wants me to set up a budget and I always get his input on it - and then he goes to the ATM when he gets off work, gets money out (usually always at another ATM so there are FEES!), and buys fast food or impulse groceries. Last week he spent $50 on tobacco and he told me this week he's going to spend $20. When we set up the budget, he said he was quitting. I put in some money for tobacco, but $50 was not it. It just irks me.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
March 27th, 2011, 11:59 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We're doing fairly well, but really need to do better. I worry that my SO will be the same way, although he says he's handing over the credit and debit cards to me, so that should curb a lot of his impulse spending.
March 28th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
That helped us a lot, too. We don't have any credit cards (we have a pre-paid one), but DH has taken back the debit card... there is definitely a difference when he has it or not! I think we just need to sit down and re-budget again to make sure we are on the same page.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
March 28th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When we were in debt payoff mode, we were VERY on budget since we used envelope budgeting.

Now that things are quite a bit more flexible, I have a hopeful budget which we almost always end up going over, but we are still well within a real budget and can put a decent chunk in savings each month.
March 29th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Lynsann's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to ~Kris~.
April 7th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We stay within our budget 100%. If there is something that one of us wants, we sit down and discuss it. If it's something on sale or not going to be there next month we will add it to the present month's budget, if it's something thta will still be there we wait until the following month to add it in. I have a misc area on our budget for eating out, fast food, fun, etc that I budget $100 a month for and if one of us uses any of that up then we let the other know.

In 3 years we've never once gone over our budget and most months we are under (I typically spend less on groceries than I budget for). We both have debit cards however we ditched the credit cards and loans long ago.
May 11th, 2011, 10:54 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
We "try" to stay on budget. We go through phases where we do good and others where we do bad . It just depends on what is gonig on. Lately we have had so many changes it has gotten a bit crazy. I need to sit back down and redo it.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

May 17th, 2011, 11:51 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we also try to stay on budget but we also need to actually have one in writing to stick to!!

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

May 20th, 2011, 05:54 PM
bunnybaker's Avatar Super Mommy
We stay on budget. I build in wiggle room for our impulse buys.

=

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search