Living with parents/inlaws..

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2011, 12:26 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Any of you ladies ever moved in with your parents or inlaws while you got on track or saved? MIL offered to let us move in with her for a while, so we could get our house built sooner, and I'm wondering if anyone else has ever done it, and how it worked for you. Thanks!
March 27th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Lynsann's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We moved in with my parents for 4 months when we were transitioning. It was an adjustment, but it got us on track to get all of our debt paid off, so I'm all for it!
March 28th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
We haven't, but we know several couples who have and it worked for them. It's obviously an adjustment to your routines and habits, but if you can do it I think it's a great idea!

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
March 28th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would do anything and everything within my power to avoid it. I feel if we dug ourselves into a hole, it's our responsibility to dig ourselves out.
March 28th, 2011, 12:54 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't be against it for me but i don't think it would work out anyway.

I say go for it if you think it would work and not put a rift in your relationship

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

March 29th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
I would do anything and everything within my power to avoid it. I feel if we dug ourselves into a hole, it's our responsibility to dig ourselves out.
That's kind of what I was thinking at first, but my MIL basically told me to suck up my pride and get over it

I don't think it'll put a rift in our relationship, she owns a season vacation lot and is gone for most of the summer, so she said that way she wouldn't have to worry about getting someone to look after her house while she's gone.
March 29th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's not about pride to me, it's about personal responsibility.

I am adult and need to live with the choices that have been made. Our parents raised us as children, they don't need to continue raisiing adults.
March 29th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Maybe getting a little support from family IS a way of digging yourself out of a hole?
March 29th, 2011, 02:50 PM
^^That's what I was thinking, if it means getting us on track quicker, and getting us into our house quicker. And since MIL offered, and we WILL be paying her rent (just less than we pay now).. why not? Kwim?
March 30th, 2011, 09:15 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If that is how you feel I would do it then.

Good luck with your decision

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 6th, 2011, 09:50 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did. I moved in with my inlaws while Chris was deployed the first time. My parents weren't as supportive as they were and we had a great relationship, so I saw no harm in it.

We HATE each other now. I mean HATE. She tries to talk Chris into leaving me and the kids and is blatantly horrid over things she perceived me doing (which I didn't). In my opinion. That many family "leaders" in one house is not a good thing. She had always supported how I took care of Carrie, but when I moved in, it changed and I was constantly berated with what I was doing wrong. The financial part worked out, but no one could have seen it going as badly as it did. It's ruined our relationship (it's been 3 years since I moved out).

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
April 6th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Eeek, that's a scary story for me to hear! I guess all I can do is hope that since she won't be home much, we won't have a problem. We've already given our notice here so there isn't much we can do now I guess!
April 6th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Wow. That's too bad that experience was so bad!

I know that when we did it, we were very carefully about maintaining each other's space and respecting each other's privacy. I hope it works out for you guys, because like I said, it went well for us.
April 7th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
ITA! Add in that hubby can't stand his parents and I can't stand his parents either. Mine are okay but at 30 years old there's no way I'd move back in with my parents unless it was a live or die situation. I'm just too independent of a person to do that. But if it's something you could do and you make a hard vow to make it as short as possible and she's okay with it, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search