Help! Savings...

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2011, 03:52 AM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
Hello!!

I am new to this part of JM, but I was hoping someone could help me with a few tips on saving..

I am currently 7 weeks along with my 1st child, and tonight my partner and I decided from now until baby is born, we would put $30 a week away into a savings for anything unexpected when baby is born. This would equate to $990 in the coming 33 weeks.

Now, I am such a BAAAAD saver! I haven't really *needed* to save in my life, and even though we don't have the *best* financial income, $30 a week isn't going to send us broke.

Any tips on keeping the savings going?

So sorry if this makes no sense!!

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

May 5th, 2011, 06:43 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you get paid by direct deposit? If so maybe have that $30 go directly into savings where you won't see it.

Good Luck

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

May 5th, 2011, 09:08 PM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
Yup, straight into my bank account. Heh my savings account is accessible.. I think I'm just going to ignore that part of my bank haha. I'm sure I'll do well

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

May 6th, 2011, 06:08 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, maybe you can move it to another savings account where you can see it but know not to use it.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

May 7th, 2011, 06:57 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Make sure to take that accont off as overdraft protection for your main account and remove it completely from any debit card. The only way I can get to the girls accounts is by getting online and actually doing a transfer, which helps their accounts stay where they are supposed to be. Yay for $30/ week

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
May 7th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the above. Also...

Open it up in your child's name. At that point if you delve into it for something other than your child you're basically stealing your own kid's money and I wouldn't feel too good about doing that.

We have a savings account that we set up for our son for college, if he goes it will go towards his college tuition, if he doesn't it will go back to us.

Part of being an adult is learning to tell yourself no, and so that may just be something that you will need to learn to do. Saving in general should be important you never know when something will come up and you will need it.

Good luck.
June 14th, 2011, 01:00 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
How has your savings been going? Have you been able to stick to it?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search