Envelope system

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 14th, 2011, 12:56 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
For those that use or have used the envelope system how did you stick to it?

That probably seems like a strange question, but I did the envelope system for about a year when we were saving for the house and it worked great! Then when we moved we got off track and though I have tried a few times I can't seem to keep us on track. Any tips or suggestions to keep us from "giving in" or giving up would be great. I love it, and know it works I just am having a hard time sticking to it.
I did just redo our budget yesterday so I know how much we could be putting into savings or paying off debt with and it makes me sad that we go through so much money with nothing to show for it. With baby #3 on the way I need to get my butt moving. Thanks ladies.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

June 15th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know when I started, it was hard to stick to the amounts for each category because there hadn't been time to build certain categories and then we'd have an expense come up that was more than 1-2 weeks worth of the money (we put the money in the envelopes weekly). So I did some borrowing from other categories, made note of it and "paid" back the category when I put more money in. Eventually I didn't have to do that anymore. Maybe you could put a little extra in each category to start with so that you are successful and then more likely to stick with it.

Now that our budget is more flexible, we haven't done envelope budgeting anymore, but our total spent on variable expenses usually totals about the same each month.
June 16th, 2011, 10:10 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Oh that is a good idea to get us going on a better foot is to put a little more to start with. We are going to put a good chunck into savings at first with the main goal being to pay off bills at a quicker pace. We also want to spend a little more this year building up our pantry. I joined Frugal mommies on JM to start finding better ways to save on grocerys and such . Thanks for the advice.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search