Hobby budget

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Do you budget for your hobbies or are they part of your entertainment budget?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

June 23rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
It's part of entertainment for us.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
June 23rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's totally separate for us. Hubby's hobbies are fairly expensive and I break it down into a few categories so I can keep a close eye on it.

He has hangar rent for the plane, flying costs (fuel, insurance), airplane costs (maintenance), and then his other hobbies (guns, the motorcycle, etc).

While it rivals a small fortune, he teaches a few classes at 2 local colleges to support his addiction. In 2010, the spending was 10.62% of our total spending. While there are times I wish it wasn't so much I accept that the flying is part of him, he's done that before we met, we're still improving our financial situation all the time and I get to stay home with the kids which is what I've always wanted, so I'm winning too.

This is the 1st year I am keeping a category for myself Normally in a year I'd spend probably <$100 on myself, but I've treated myself to a couple of massages. Hubby is always encouraging me to do more for myself.
June 23rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I have done an allotment for DH for his new hobby/interest of $100 a month but didn't budget for me. Then recently found a new passion (I didn't budget for me because I didn't have anything I did anymore). So now we are trying to decide how to best work it into the budget without messing up our goals. Thanks for sharing ladies.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

June 24th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Whenever we add expenses just for Tim in our budget, I get an equal portion just for me. But, neither one of us has an expensive hobby like flying! Ours are cheaper by far.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
June 24th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd never be able to spend an equal amount. Well, I'm sure I could.....I could go for lots of massages!
June 24th, 2011, 07:14 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We budget for them. If it is something that we want and it isn't too expensive then we will buy it now.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

July 1st, 2011, 07:44 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
My hobby is Scrapbooking. When we had money ie DH had a job we budgeted it in. DH is starting wood working but seriously that is more of a start up business than a hooby.

July 7th, 2011, 06:52 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
currently my hobbies have been put on the back burner. I like various crafting, but just haven't been into it in a while so not buying anything. When I did it came out of my pocket cash. Same with DH, he will save his pocket cash. He also saves his change throughout the year and it adds up quite nicely over time so he spends that too

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search