Thrifty Thursday

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2011, 05:40 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
What do you do to help save money on your grocery bill?

Examples would be shop around, coupon clip, saver cards, farmers markets, etc.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

June 23rd, 2011, 06:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
For 2011 we are just under $315/month for food, toiletries (including diapers for 2 part time), laundry detergent, cleaning supplies, etc for our family of 5.

It was just under $320/month in 2010.

I have 3 grocery stores + WAG and Target to shop at. Depending on the week, I can occasionally shop at CVS too. I clip coupons every week.
June 23rd, 2011, 12:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Coupons - clipping, eCoupons and mobile coupons
Rainchecks - if Kroger is out of stock on their sale items, we can get a rain check
Ad matching - if Kroger is out of stock on their sale items, we can ad match at Walmart
Menu Planning
Growing our own
Buying from Amish and canning/preserving

I don't know about you, but our Farmer's Market has OUTRAGEOUS prices. If I bought my food there, I'd be spending about 2-3 times as much as at the grocery store.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
June 23rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Wow Kris that is great. I budget for $400 a month on groceries for a family of 4 and we aren't doing diapers yet .
I am starting to clip coupons and hunt for deals but its a slow learning process. I have to not run out and use all my coupons in the first week .

June 24th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Yeah, it's way better if you wait and use them later! Are you working on a stockpile Jess? We actually had a huge stockpile but with everything that went on ended up using that to eat off - it was great to have it on hand, but now I have to restock which can be a pain.

June 24th, 2011, 07:33 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
coupon clipping, shop at discounted grocery stores

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

July 1st, 2011, 07:35 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
We buy the sales and stock up. I will not but certain things unless it is pretty close to that price.

I second the notion on the farmers martket the prices are way higher than the grocery stores.

July 5th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I got into the coupon clipping about 2 months ago. I actually enjoy it. We have a $50 weekly budget (including everything!) but I have gone over a little trying to get some of our extras and building our stockpile.

I make sure to scan all grocery store ads to figure out who has the best priced produce and see if any stores are running double coupons specials.

I cant afford the farmers markets around here due to the cost of the food. I would love to be able to buy the fresh home grown veggies but its not financially practical.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

July 6th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It used to be great to shop at farmer's markets, but now that everyone wants fresh food...

I just wish there were more stores around us! We have Kroger, Walmart, Dollar General and Dollar Tree... and that's it. Meijer, Save-a-lot, Aldi's and the other good stores are at least 30 minutes away. Walmart does ad match, but they don't always have the same products to match since it has to be an exact match.

July 6th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Our farmers market didn't seem to bad but I didn't look at everything. I know our fresh produce at the commissary sucks so I prefer to go somewhere else and pay a little more just to have better stuff that doesn't go bad an hour after I get home. We are trying to stockpile but it to is a slow process.

July 7th, 2011, 07:32 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I clip coupons and shop sales flyers

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search