9 ways to pay off debt

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2011, 07:12 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Another article on how to pay off debt.

9 Ways to Pay Off Debt

What are you doing to pay off debt? Do you have a method or just winging it?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

June 30th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
We are snowballing and paying more than the minimum.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
July 1st, 2011, 08:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am snowballing as well. I like to see the reward of getting something paid off.

July 1st, 2011, 10:26 AM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Some of those tips make me nervous Especially the taking out a Home Equity loan--in some cases that could be a good thing but for a lot of people, its a bad bad bad bad idea, especially with housing prices dropping and companies still experiencing a lot of downsizing :\ When I worked for a bank, it was encouraged to do a Home Equity to pay off debt--people were told how wonderful and great it was! When I worked for a credit union (before the crash), we advised people to think long and hard about it because it often put them in a not-so-great position. Exceptions in every case, though, and for some it is a great road to take

I make sure to always pay double the minimum on any cards we have a balance on with extra funds going towards the one we are working on paying off. My husband is going to school full-time (as well as working full-time) and so we have a lot of extra expenses (gas for the car, supplies, equipment for classes, etc) that get put on the credit card until his financial aid refund comes--his school pays it out halfway through the semester instead of upfront :/ His tuition and books are covered by being charged to the account but everything else is out of pocket until that check comes so even though I hate pulling out that card, it gets used and then paid off when the check comes
July 1st, 2011, 12:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
#1-2-great ideas!

#3-agree with to some extent, I think a small safety net is a good idea. I bet it is rare for a person to have a good chunk of money in savings if they also have a mountain of debt.

#4-7-ACK! I really disagree with these. Rob Peter to pay Paul? Doesn't make sense to me. Paying off debt includes making lifestyle changes. You got in debt by spending beyond your means, you have to break those habits, not just borrow from somewhere else. I especialy disagree with asking friends or family for money. I feel it is really unfair to request that of them.

#8-YES!

#9-strongly against this as well

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search