When do you start planning for Christmas?

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
When do you start planning for Christmas expenses?
Do you do anything to bring in extra money before Christmas?
How much do you typically spend on Christmas?

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
July 6th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I purchase some gifts year-round, when I see good deals and then the rest we get in the month or so before Christmas.

Nothing special for extra income, just less goes in savings that month.

We spend about $800-1K on Christmas for the 3 kids, each other, my mom, MIL and FIL, my grandparents, 6 Godparents, hubby's Godchild, 3 less fortunate children from church, my niece/Godchild (she'll get 2 gifts), goody treats for ~10 of hubby's coworkers, and pictures/cardsstamps for ~60 people. I think that's it.
July 6th, 2011, 09:02 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I should be better about stocking through the year but I never do. We usually do about $500 for the kids and DH and I just don't bother or just do one gift. This year maybe $100 for each of us. With another baby I am sure it will go up some. We also have DD's birthday in December so I pull from our November money to get her gifts. Again not much of a planner for stuff like that. I need to get better.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

July 6th, 2011, 01:59 PM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh about Dec 10th...I'm terrible and really should plan better

Make a pregnancy ticker

July 7th, 2011, 07:40 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we set aside a little from our tax money and i get a Christmas bonus at work. We buy for extended family, but try to keep that at $200 or less and spend about $500 on the kids. Just ballpark, in varies a little each year depending

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

July 7th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
When do you start planning for Christmas expenses? Usually early. Back in the day I'd start filling stockings in July as our last birthdays were in June. I have already bought things for the kids for this Christmas. When my DH is working we set aside money for our yearly expenses each pay check.

Do you do anything to bring in extra money before Christmas? We are openning an Etsy store and my DH is making Beau a pull toy and Scarlett a doll cradle and baby is getting a full size cradle. Well she'll ger hers a little early when she gets here.

How much do you typically spend on Christmas? I spend EXACTLY $100 on each child. (so much so that I actually put the change in their stockings) I was having issues with my teenager doing the I only got two gifts and my baby sister got 20... Now that I have little babies again i don't feel the need to itemize the babies as badly in other words we'll spend less on them. I spend $20 on each stocking. Then I usually have about $100 for house stuff/decorations/cards.

This year DH and I are getting each other a brand new baby girl! My favorite gifts EVER!

Last edited by Happy Song; July 7th, 2011 at 04:08 PM.
July 9th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When do you start planning for Christmas expenses? I don't as I don't need to. Never spend more than $200 and usually it's more like $150.

Do you do anything to bring in extra money before Christmas? No.

How much do you typically spend on Christmas? $150-$200, NEVER more than $200. We cap it off at $100 for our son and no more, hubby and I do not do gifts for each other, and I bake cookies and mail them for immediately family members and that's it.
July 12th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When do you start planning for Christmas expenses? I have started making my list of things that I know I want to get people
Do you do anything to bring in extra money before Christmas? Sell textbooks, do extra time at my part-time, etc
How much do you typically spend on Christmas? Its my favorite holiday. Last year was the first time I budgeted it and actually stayed under 1k. I used to spend more but thats because I was helping my mom with my sisters stuff and she likes all video games. Now that I have my own child and my sister knows that we are Santa its different.

July 12th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I start planning for Christmas in October. All (except 2) of our nieces and nephews birthdays are between Nov. 21 and Jan. 5, including our own 2 kids. So, it gets pretty expensive, but because of the economy and such we cut back on Christmas gifts for everyone this year. We spent maybe $100-150, and we'll probably spend the same this year. We also cut back on what we bought for siblings (with 14 siblings, it gets VERY expensive fast).

I get my stipend money in December, and use a portion of this for Christmas and the rest for paying down debt.
July 16th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I try to get little gifts (stocking stuffers) all during the year as I see good sale prices and have a little extra cash.

But this year I expect we wont get the bulk of our gifts till Dec when I get the extra paycheck (I balance my expense for us to function on 2 paychecks a month... It means twice a year we get "bonus" money that I apply to savings).

I keep gifts on a budget. Nieces/nephews get $25ish gifts, then each family gets a $25 gift. I think Baby S will just get some small toys that will be appropriate for her - and some/most may be used to help keep our spending budget low.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

Tags
christmas

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search