State assistance

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2011, 08:37 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Have you ever used state assistance?
Was it easy to apply for and use or was it a royal pain?
What state were you in?
Any advice for those looking to apply?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 3rd, 2011, 06:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have never had it. They always say I make too much to qualify for anything. I think it sucks that they use your income before taxes knowing that you aren't bringing that amount home after taxes, insurance, etc.

August 3rd, 2011, 12:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No experience

They use gross pay because people's take home pay can not be compared because some CHOOSE to have additional money taken out. Some people choose to have money put into retirement, they choose to get insurance, etc.

More than likely if people are getting aid, they are not paying taxes. They may pay them in the beginning, but then get it all back at tax time and some get it back + some which really drives me crazy!
August 4th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Have you ever used state assistance? Nope.

Any advice for those looking to apply? Personally I'm not a fan of it, so no advice here.
August 6th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Have you ever used state assistance? Yes

Was it easy to apply for and use or was it a royal pain? I hated dealing with Arizona. As a foster parent/adoptive parent the state always provides medical ins for the adopted children in addition I alway got child care assistance no matter how much money I made. It was always terrible to deal with Arizona. Everyone spoke spanish. I also always qualify for WIC as well. No matter my income. Sp each time I hyad to teach them how to look up the provisions in their system on how it worked. It was so annoying because it is not like I did not work with the same people over and over. Oh yes and I was constantly set up in spanish speaking classes. Drove me BATTY!

Oklahoma is so much nicer and easier. When we moved here I had to apply for medical benefits for my adopted children through title 19. But our income didn't meet the minimum requirments (no house payment no bills) so we ended up qualifying for $200 a month food stamps.

What state were you in? Arizona and Oklahoma

Any advice for those looking to apply? Actually they may start from before taxes income but the deduct for houseing cost, utilities, medical, non grocery expenses, groceries over and above food stamps, and any court ordered child support from your income and use that number to determine how much food stamps you get.

State medical ins is crazy. It is so much better than any ins I have paid too much for out of pocket.

August 6th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have never qualified.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

August 6th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Song View Post
State medical ins is crazy. It is so much better than any ins I have paid too much for out of pocket.
Of course it would be better. You're not paying for it, the taxpayers are.
August 8th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
Of course it would be better. You're not paying for it, the taxpayers are.
Actually that is not what I meant. what I meant was that there has been no fighting for benefits. There has been no arguing with the ins company. All the insurance headaches I have ever had were with the companies I have paid for.

August 9th, 2011, 09:49 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
wow, I'm almost nervous about answering these questions now. Yes, we are one of "those" families receiving food stamps and we have the kids on medicaid. We are in Michigan, and the application process was fairly easy. Advice for those who need to apply- do it in person, not online, unless you are actually in the area of Lansing. We are in the UP and our application process was delayed b/c we originally did it online. Have all your proofs and be prepared to make lots of copies. Keep all your paperwork neatly filed, and it will be easy to find what you need.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

August 11th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
wow, I'm almost nervous about answering these questions now. Yes, we are one of "those" families receiving food stamps and we have the kids on medicaid. We are in Michigan, and the application process was fairly easy. Advice for those who need to apply- do it in person, not online, unless you are actually in the area of Lansing. We are in the UP and our application process was delayed b/c we originally did it online. Have all your proofs and be prepared to make lots of copies. Keep all your paperwork neatly filed, and it will be easy to find what you need.
Yes I get that feeling too. But what really helps me is "But for the Grace of God there goes I" I wasn't always one of "those" families and graciously hope that no one ever has to join me in such a "disgrace".

August 11th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Personally I don't think the program should exist in the first place. I wish it'd just go away. They want a way to get us out of debt as a nation, well that would be a fast way to do it that's for sure. And if our tax dollars weren't going to support those programs we'd have more money in our paychecks as well.

OR

If they're going to exist then I think it should only be for a few months (3-6 at most). That way there is an incentive for folks to get off of the programs because they END.
August 11th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I do not mind people receiving temporary assistance, but there is so much abuse of the system it drives me batty. I completey disagree with people TTC, having fancy cell phones, cars, etc when they are on assistance!

I bet there are so many people who get assistance, yet do not go bare bones on their budget which I think is so unfair to the people who do live within their means, even if it means sacrificing their wants.

Too many people have a sense of entitlement.

Last edited by ~Kris~; August 11th, 2011 at 08:24 PM.
August 11th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
I do not mind people receiving temporary assistance, but there is so much abuse of the system it drives me batty. I completey disagree with people TTC, having fancy cell phones, cars, etc when they are on assistance!

I bet there are so many people who get assistance, yet do not go bare bones on their budget which I think is so unfair to the people who do live within their means, even if it means sacrificing their wants.

Too many people have a sense of entitlement.
August 19th, 2011, 12:52 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Starting a debate over if people should get state assistance was not the goal ladies . I merely wondered what was out there for people. The reality is in this economy many people need a little help for a bit and people need to know what is out there IMO. Sometimes people don't realize these programs exist.
I personally have always made to much to qualify for any state programs so I don't know much about them. I appreciate the information.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 19th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Cash assistance is short term and hard to qualify for too. I know people have the view of a welfare family getting a lot of money or a raise with each baby. Not so. However Food stamps, medical and child care are all availble as long as you need it. They are geared to help the working poor. Another little known fact is that your budget has to balance. So you have to have income to get assistance.

I know you guys don't understand how the system really works but those in charge of these programs really like job security therefore they actually advertise in English and in Spanish letting people know that they have aid available.

Robert Kiyosaki explains it very well in his first book, Rich Dad, Poor Dad. The way goverment works is that the more you spend the more money you get. There fore the government is not going scale it's self back, nor are any Politicians going to scale this back.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search