trimming the budget

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2011, 12:38 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
What things have you done or do you do to trim your budget?
Do you always cut out "extras" or are their other things you will do like search for deals, clip coupons etc.?
What prompts you to trim the budget?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 19th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
My budget is cut bare bones. There is no wiggle room at all. But I am grateful that my utilities are paid. We have what we need for the house, and my children have everything they need.

The only two things on the budget that we can live without are trash and internet. But they are both worth the money we spend on them. We live too far from the library to job hunt without internet.

I use disposible diapers, but with trash and electricity (pump for the well, water heater dryer and added A/C)I think it is a good trade off.

August 21st, 2011, 11:06 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Thanks for sharing Nicole.

We have trimmed here and there. Cut out cable TV, trimmed the cell phone bill (we don't have a home phone) stuff like that. Our biggest problem is eating out so we would for sure trim that and do at times when we need something. We should do it more but at 8 1/2 months pregnant I just sometimes am too sore and tired to cook. So we have allotted more in the budget lately to accommodate. Less goes to hobbies. We usually trim the budget when we are saving for something big so we can save even more than before or when we notice something isn't right with the budget we will redo it and usually trim down then just because we are looking at what is being spent.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 22nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What things have you done or do you do to trim your budget? Nothing. We don't need to trim it for one, and everything on there minus "misc" are things that we're not willing to cut as long as we can afford them or things we cannot cut at all. But our main "trick" is not to take on expenses we don't have a need/use for...like cell phones. Neither hubby nor myself have one for personal use. Hubby has one for work only, I do not have one at all. We do not have car payments, etc.

Do you always cut out "extras" or are their other things you will do like search for deals, clip coupons etc.? Haven't needed to cut anything out, but if we did, eating out and things like going to the movies, etc would be the first to go.

What prompts you to trim the budget? Nothing.
August 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Pupcake74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What things have you done or do you do to trim your budget?
We got rid of our BB, that saved us about $63. We cut down our cable package to the small one, saved about $74. The biggest one is cooking at home.

Do you always cut out "extras" or are their other things you will do like search for deals, clip coupons etc.? I wouldn't say we cut them out but we have trimmed them down. We still go. Just not as often. If we do we go on Chili's night where kids eat free and hubby and I do the 2 for 20. And lots of time I also have a coupon for a free desert or chips and salsa. Thats like once a month. Then we have pizza once a week. Our local radio station has a different deal each week where you can get $25 gift cards for half price. The ones for Papa Johns are broke down to $5 each, Then on Tues and Wed the have a $5 cheese pizza we make have pep so in the end its just over $3.50 for it and sometimes if we are really hungry we will papa size it for $2 more. Its half a mile away so its easy to go get, thus no deliver free and not a real expense to pick up.

What prompts you to trim the budget? Needing to. Realizing that we don't really use those extra channels. That once you start cooking at home, you can make your food cheaper and better than the restuarant. Not wanting to basically WASTE the time hubby goes to work on things we really don't need. If that makes any sense.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search