Driving me nuts

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Okay two things here both money related...

We're looking at getting a new car...well not new new, used, but new to us. We're paying CASH ONLY yet the first thing out of these sales people's mouths are what do you want your monthly payment to be. Shoot, many of the cars don't even have PRICES on them, it is simply "what do you want your monthly payment to be". Well even if I was financing, I still want to know the price of the car. Then we say we're paying cash and they look at us like we're little green men that just jumped out of a space ship. Driving me batty!

Okay, secondly, took my son to cub scouts tonight and basically his den leader is pushing him to finance cub scouts! We are going to Disneyland next month, my son has known about this for 3 months, I have reminded him a few times (he'll be 10 next month so plenty old enough), and have told him that if he wants to get any souvenirs that he has to save his allowance money as hubby and I are not buying him any souvenirs. Now, he is in charge of paying his cub scout weekly den dues ($2/wk). We pay the yearly dues and his uniform stuff, but he has to pay his weekly dues by doing chores around the house. Now he's been slacking on doing his chores so he hasn't been saving much money plus he has forgotten his wallet a few times. So he owes his den leader $8. Didn't know how much he owed so I told him to discuss it with her. And I reminded him that if he didn't have enough money for Disney souvenirs too bad so sad (one mother obviously thought I was just awful for saying that). And reminded him that I had told him about htis 3 months ago, his dues must be paid before he can buy fun stuff. So his den leader says that it would be okay (to him) if he waited to pay until November, so that he can buy stuff while on vacation in October then when we come back in November he can just double up on his dues to pay the back log. REALLY?? After I just stood there saying that he had to pay his "bills" first??

Why do so many teach their children to borrow??? Like I told my son, if we went to Disney before I paid our bills in October and we were $500 short on our mortgage they'd take the house...was it such a good idea to go and have fun before paying our bills then? To which he obviously said no. So he gets it thankfully, but it REALLY irritated me that someone, another adult, would say that oweing her money would be okay when it is NOT okay with ME...his parent! Ooh I was so angry.

Okay off my soap box. Just wish more folks would teach their kids to save, then maybe one day the next generation would be better off than we are!
September 20th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I hate dealing with car dealerships. Last time I bought a car I had a loan secured before I went. The salesman asked what my limit was and then tried to show me cars at or above that. He kept saying I should spend it all.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

September 20th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well and that's the thing, we do not finance vehicles, we pay cash or we do not get them, so they mistake me saying I am only going to pay $X for that I CAN only pay $X and then try to have me finance the rest. No no no, not saying I can't, I'm saying I won't there's a difference LoL.
September 20th, 2011, 09:41 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I can kind of see the car dealership question as in reality paying cash for a car is rare. A good thing to just pay cash but rare none the less. And really they should respect your decision to stay in that price range regardless of how you pay. That would bother me if I went in saying I only have $1000 and they tried to get me to finance when I said I wouldn't. People are just so greedy.
As for the cub scouts that is great what you are teaching your son and I agree at 10 he is old enough to understand. It would bother me that they were trying to get him to do something against what you were doing and teaching knowing what you had said. If they didn't know then I would understand.

It is a problem. We teach kids from a young age they can just "pay it back later". Don't get me wrong there is a time and place to borrow money but honestly if the parents are trying to teach life lessons you shouldn't be trying to teach something else. And if he has known for three months about the dues and souvenirs then it might be a good life lesson if he doesn't get anything. I am sure many parents would be appalled. And I will be honest I have a hard time telling my kids no but mine are a bit younger still and wouldn't really understand. My DS doesn't even understand how long a month is yet LOL.
I hope you guys have a fun time in Disneyland. What kind of car are you looking to get?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

September 20th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We are getting a 2008 Mitsubishi Endeavor (from a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe).

Well even when our son was young we told him no, that's never been an issue for us. He started getting an allowance at 5, so at that point we started teaching him that if he wanted "extras" then he had to work, save his money, and pay for them himself and to take his wallet with him when we went places.
September 20th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Meghan your doing a great job! I wish my mom had been like you.

Scouts drive me CRAZY. I think their soul purpose is to soak money out of kids. i nearly died when I had to buy my son a scout shirt. I think it is the most expensive article of clothing we have and I bought it on Ebay for a good deal!

Last year when my 14 year old went to Scout camp he was OK not earning any money and playing the pverty card to his leader. I told him that if he did not have at least $40 for merit badges he wasn't going. So he actually got off his lazy butt and did the extra chores to earn the money. I made sure he had all the treats and drinks he needed for camp and he ATE them before camp. I was livid! So he used his $40 to buy snacks and treats at camp. Yeah we are not doing well on teaching my 15 year old about money. I cannot trust him to have money at all. GRRRRRRRRRRR

September 20th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Song View Post
Meghan your doing a great job! I wish my mom had been like you.

Scouts drive me CRAZY. I think their soul purpose is to soak money out of kids. i nearly died when I had to buy my son a scout shirt. I think it is the most expensive article of clothing we have and I bought it on Ebay for a good deal!

Last year when my 14 year old went to Scout camp he was OK not earning any money and playing the pverty card to his leader. I told him that if he did not have at least $40 for merit badges he wasn't going. So he actually got off his lazy butt and did the extra chores to earn the money. I made sure he had all the treats and drinks he needed for camp and he ATE them before camp. I was livid! So he used his $40 to buy snacks and treats at camp. Yeah we are not doing well on teaching my 15 year old about money. I cannot trust him to have money at all. GRRRRRRRRRRR
Oh on that stuff our scouts isn't bad. Yes, it was $100 for his uniform BUT I bought it big and it will last him a good 5 years (he can wear it into boy scouts) and our dues are only $20 for the entire year and then $2/wk for supplies. So it's not bad. FAR better than sports and other stuff that's for sure.
September 20th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I sort of understand the car thing, not because it's right, but it is what the majority of people probably do. I have run into quite a few people who take out longer and longer car loans simply because the car payment is lower PER MONTH. It is scary how many people do not look at the long term cost of things.

We're hoping to not ever take a car loan again, but the need to get into a better school district may affect that plan. I love being car payment free!
September 20th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We've personally sworn to NEVER take any other loan or credit card ever again. We've actually frozen our credit so that we won't be victims of identity theft either. We will never ever owe anyone for anything ever again (except for our home loan, we're pretty well stuck with that at this point unless we went into foreclosure which I am not willing to do).
September 23rd, 2011, 12:03 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That would ddrive me batty about the scouts.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search