What is more important?

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SpazTaz
  • 1 Post By SpazTaz

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2012, 09:22 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
Which should I worry about first? Paying off our debts or building an emergency fund?

Our situation: DH and I are both full time students. We do side jobs to make ends meet, but are surviving largely on grants and student loans (I know.... bad idea).
Our savings: ZERO
Our debt is not HUGE, but I want to eliminate it, because we are in school and eventually the student loans we've taken in the past are going to come due.

We currently owe:

car payment 2,166.34 (250.72/month)
mortgage 8,994.77 (152.85/month)
credit card debt 700.00 ( 75.00/month)

student loans around 27,000 (approximately) for both of us at this point.

So which is more important? Should we focus on paying down the debts, or should we work on saving up an emergency fund?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
March 29th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd recommend you guys get $2K in savings. What if the car breaks? Or the dryer breaks or you have a flood in your house? You really need to have some cash in the bank for the oh $hit moments.

Once you have that, then start paying off the debt, starting with the credit card(s).

JMO.
magz88 likes this.
March 29th, 2012, 07:39 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
Thanks! That has kind of been my thoughts. DH thinks we need to pay off debt before thinking about any savings. I'd rather have that money to fall back on just in case.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
March 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well your husband is right to an extent as an emergency fund isn't considered savings. But typically $1,000-$2,000 is recommended in an emergency fund, then pay off your debt, then start saving up 6-12 months worth of bills to have in cash in the bank. Typically.
8forus likes this.
March 31st, 2012, 08:26 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I agree with Meghan, that is what we have done. We have an emergency fund (not savings) for when stuff hits the fan, car accident deductible stuff like that. Now we are just working to pay off the credit cards. I actually just redid our budget since so much changed with the new baby, new daycare, pay raises and such. I am glad I redid it too. I would sit down write out all your bills and try to make a realistic budget.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

October 31st, 2012, 10:36 PM
Its better to pay loan first because with the passage of time the interest on that loan increase which reduce your saving if you had some already.......
Superannuation Planning Gold Coast

Last edited by Mack45; November 3rd, 2012 at 03:17 AM.
November 1st, 2012, 11:01 AM
1st time mom
Make sure you are paying what's due each month, but before paying additional money to get the loans takin care of you really ought to have an emergency fund. The point to this is so that if you lose a job, car breaks down, end up in the hospital.. Whatever it may be you want to be financially able to survive it. Paying off debt is important for sure, but its best to first have an emergency fund. And I agree with the above, an emergency fund is strictly for emergencies. It is not the same as a savings account that you can spend on school books, or take out, or furniture. It is strictly emergency purposed money only. I would start out with having an emergency fund big enough to carry you for two months should anything drastic happen to you. And then later on once you have paid off debt, you can always come back to the fund and add to it securing you further.
December 11th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Veteran
I agree with paying the debt first and stay away for making a new one. And save some for emergency,. after the debt is paid saving will be faster/easier.
April 22nd, 2014, 09:52 AM
Great blog post on what is more important:The Starbucks Tax « iQuantifi
May 13th, 2014, 02:36 AM
It is important to have some amount of savings.
If you already have some savings, you can start paying the debts and if ever there is a little spare, add that to your savings.
May 13th, 2014, 07:21 AM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
I say...both. But! The debts aren't going anywhere, so why not still set some money aside for emergencies. Even a small amount monthly can add up. When you do start paying off debts, try to get the smallest ones out of the way. Then try to set up a different payment plan with your student loans. That way the payments don't turn into a huge burden.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search