Wannabe Wednesday

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2007, 10:55 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
What did you want to be "when you grew up?" Are you doing it? Are you making more/less money than you thought you would?

When I was REALLY little (pre-k), I wanted to be a vulcanologist (the guy that explores dead volcanoes and samples lava from live ones). When I got into elementary school, I wanted to be an astronaut (of course! ). Later, I decided to be a teacher... just because I loved school and never wanted to leave.

I "kinda" did those things. I was a teacher for a while, and I minored in science in college. I'm making about what I thought I would (or more, really, now that I'm not teaching anymore). Both of my parents are teachers, so I had very low expectations on my salary.
January 17th, 2007, 09:04 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I was in elementary school/jr. high, I wanted to do something in real estate. In high school, I decided that accounting was a better fit. Then I ended up in finance.

I always planned on being a sahm once I had kids tho, and that's what I'm doing.

January 17th, 2007, 09:22 AM
whitlovesoak's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to whitlovesoak
i always really wanted to be a singer lol. i was in all the groups and performed and took the lessons. but don't do it anymore. i really miss it. but when i was in high school and realized i needed to be serious i wanted to be a psychologist or cosmotologist lol. yes two very different things. but i am a people person and i guess both have to do with people right? so i would have probably been the cosmotologist but i got a full ride scholarship offer to college so i took that route instead. but no i am not doing any of the things i wanted to. lol. i ended up getting married leaving school early and coming home! i now do accounting for a small used car dealership/auto shop. and i don't mind it. but i really am looking into my options to go back to school for cosmetology. i think after the baby is a little older like maybe 6 months or a year i will go back. i will definitley go full time so i can do it in a year though.

</div>
January 17th, 2007, 09:46 AM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always wanted to teach and thats what i am doing. I am making about what i thought i would although I would have never guessed I would marry a teacher so we are a little worse off than i always pictured myself.
January 17th, 2007, 09:59 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wanted to be an astronaut, all the way through high school. Then learned that due to my eyesight and asthma I wouldn't get to do it. So I got a degree in Deaf Education, but realized after a couple of years that I couldn't afford to be a teacher. I went back for my MBA and now work with healthcare data. Not exactly where I'd pictured myself. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, actually.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
January 17th, 2007, 07:37 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Originally I wanted to be a doctor ... emergency medicine/high need trauma or ob/gyn. I had that plan all the way until the end of my senior year of high school when on a whim I changed from Michigan Tech to the University of Michigan because I was afraid of a: snow, b: calculus, and c: being 14 hours of snowy drive away from home.

Then, I wanted to act or stage manage, but knew the market here wasn't practical.

Then, I wanted to be a lawyer ... non-profit family law.

Then, I didn't know what I wanted to do anymore ... I thought about becoming a midwife, but you have to go to nursing school (and since I'm already a paramedic and allowed to do more than nurses can I didn't go for it). I taught college political science for a while, and thought about the foreign service, or some kind of public administration position, but got burned out on students and politics. Now, I'm about to start a finance job, and to tell you the truth ... I'm not so excited about it. Booo.

One day, maybe I'll figure it out.
January 17th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Now, I'm about to start a finance job, and to tell you the truth ... I'm not so excited about it.[/b]
What will you be doing exactly?
January 17th, 2007, 08:53 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Now, I'm about to start a finance job, and to tell you the truth ... I'm not so excited about it. Booo.

One day, maybe I'll figure it out.[/b]
Awww...Good luck at your new job. You were so excited about it when you first heard. Did something change?

January 17th, 2007, 09:07 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought until high school that I would be writer. Then after my dad got brain cancer (central nervous system lymphoma), I didn't know what I wanted to do other than something in the medical/science field. I wasn't really sure what specifically until mid way through college. Sooo...I am working as a medical technologist, which means I am doing the lab testing for patients. I like it pretty well; it has its ups and downs. The hospital I'm working at now is the one that treated my dad's brain cancer. He's been in remission over 10 years now.

January 17th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Quote:
He's been in remission over 10 years now.[/b]
WOW! That's great! I don't know what I'd do w/o my dad. I'm SUCH a daddy's girl.
January 18th, 2007, 10:12 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I was just having a bummy day, that's all. I'm still stoked to have a solid job coming, and I heard from them today that I will be starting Monday or Tuesday next week. Hooray money! I'm a little anxious about working for someone else for the first time in over a year. It was just nerves and crankiness talking.

What I'll be doing ... I'll be a financial rep for a subsidiary of one of the major lending/financial mgmt companies. It includes things like sub-prime lending, insurance sales, portfolio management and the like. It's a management track position that leads to branch manager options within 18-24 months. It's a solid job, it's just totally not me.
January 18th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Quote:
It's a solid job, it's just totally not me.[/b]
So..... you can go in, kick butt, make some major $$$, and then kiss them goodbye when you figure out what you REALLY want to do.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search