Marriage and Money!

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2007, 08:43 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
What's the one thing you wish you'd known about money when you got married?

FYI... there's a chat tonight at 8 pm EST for the wedding planning board. If you're getting married soon or have some BTDT experience with planning, you should stop by and say hello!

Hmmmm... the one thing I wish I'd known... I wish I'd known how to put debts into a spreadsheet payoff plan like I do now. I used to do it on the computer through a company I worked for, so there was no real "thought" involved. Now I realize there is SO much more to it than that, and when you do it by hand, you can change so many more factors to get the best outcome. It really irks me to know that we could be debt free right now if we'd known better 5 years ago.
January 18th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wish I had heard all the Dave Ramsey advice about marriage and money--mainly that EVERY couple has a "nerd" and "free-spirit." And also a "tightwad" and a "spender." Most of the time the nerd is the tightwad and the free-spirit is the spender (usually, but not always). Knowing which partner is which and working with the respective strengths and weaknesses usually dissolves the tension that can surround money in a marriage. I've seen it happen with couples in our FPU classes in just one or two sessions.

January 18th, 2007, 10:37 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish I'd known about Dave Ramsey too. I really wish that I could have cut all of our extras back before we had kids, and were both making good money. We could have had our house completely paid off with some hard work and dedication. Ah, well, live and learn. At least we turned ourselves around (thank you Dave Ramsey) in our late 20s/early 30s, so that by the time our kids start college, our home will be paid off and we'll have a nice retirement nest egg. We should be able to put our kids (mostly) thru college. I actually don't WANT to pay for 100% of it. I want them to earn their way as well

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search