Savvy Grocery Shopping Tips

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2007, 06:01 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20164458/

I actually didn't know some of these.
August 23rd, 2007, 08:23 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great tips. I need to print that out and put it with my coupon folder.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
August 23rd, 2007, 10:56 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Wow!! Sounds like a lot of work. That's how I found the error from Walgreens. They didn't print off my $5 RR last week. It was suppose to spend $15 of Unilever products and I spent like $21. I pointed it out to the cashier and she was really cool about it. Told me when to come back to speak to the manager that is also cool and he gave me a $5 GC!
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

August 23rd, 2007, 05:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't agree with all of these! Especially #1-how can you spend 41% more if you have a list vs. not???
August 23rd, 2007, 05:46 PM
donomama
Quote:
I don't agree with all of these! Especially #1-how can you spend 41% more if you have a list vs. not???[/b]

ditto - and we all KNOW Costco isn't the cheapest place to get toiletries and TP!!!

But some of them are right on.
August 23rd, 2007, 06:11 PM
lizard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I don't agree with all of these! Especially #1-how can you spend 41% more if you have a list vs. not???[/b]
I was wondering if that wasn't supposed to be reversed.

10/31/05 (EDD 5/15/06), 4/17/06 (EDD 11/13/06)
Chemical p/g 1/11/08

August 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Yeah, I think the list thing was definitely a typo!
August 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Yeah, I think the list thing was definitely a typo![/b]
I think it would have to be...all the things I;'ve read and heard say that you will spend less if you have the list. I can't see why having a list would be bad???
August 23rd, 2007, 07:59 PM
paganempath
It's pretty bad to have a typo like that considering how much it changes the meaning. They can't afford a proofreader because they're spending all their money on their kids!
August 24th, 2007, 05:33 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
That is a major blooper...
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
August 25th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Veteran
In this case it is a type, but in others it could be a statistical manipulation. They just took the data and said, see all these people that had lists bought every single item on the list and thus spent more than those that didn't and only bought what they knew they needed.

I really think it depends on the shopper. I used to spend more when I had a list because I had a hard time letting good deals go, now I figure, if I can't remember them, they must not be that stellar.

<div align="center"></div>
August 26th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I definitely spend less with a list bc my list is based on the sales and coupons I have rather than going through the aisles looking at everything and thinking...oh that would be good, oh what about that, tc!
August 26th, 2007, 07:52 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I not only spend less with a list, but we also eat better and waste less because of it. I used to wander around thinking, "Hmmm, yes, we need tomatoes." Did I have a use for them planned? No. So they sat there and most of them went bad. It happened ALL THE TIME. Now, the list prevents that as it's based on the menu which is based on the ad plus what's in the stockpile plus the schedule for the week. And, it has an estimated total at the top so since I pay cash I can't go over by more than the change in the bottom of my purse. Sometimes I find a better deal in the store than what's on the list ... so I cross something off and add something else. I love my list. I cannot shop without it anymore.
August 27th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Shopping with a list also saves me time...we get in, we get out. I like to be out in 20 minutes or less (a lot depends on how fast the lines are at checkout!!)

At Meijer I was just getting good at knowing where everything was...and now they rearranged some things-AUGH!!!
August 27th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I noticed the costco thing too, TOTALLY UNTRUE!!!!!!!

they should have just asked the frugal ladies 2 doors up, we could have made the list for them

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
August 27th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Tikka's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think another really important tip is to never go grocery shopping when you are hungry... especially if you are almost nine months pregnant and hungry Otherwise big bucks when you just went in to get a couple of things!

August 27th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I think another really important tip is to never go grocery shopping when you are hungry... especially if you are almost nine months pregnant and hungry Otherwise big bucks when you just went in to get a couple of things![/b]
That used to be a big problem for us..can you say cookies, chips, etc???

Since we stop on the way home from work I bring my son something to snack on so he doesn't get hungry/bored while we are there and I just try to be as fast as we can!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search