Frugal Friday

Forum: Financial Planning and Budgeting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Financial Planning and Budgeting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2007, 09:32 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
How do you save money on movies? Rent them? Wait until they're showing at the dollar theater? Wait until they're stocked at the library? Go to matinees rather than evening shows?
August 23rd, 2007, 10:44 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
The party store a block from here has 99c movie rentals, so we walk down there when we want to rent a movie. Cheap, AND no gas money! If we want to go 'out' for a movie, then we usually go to the drive in here on Tuesday or Wednesday because it's "bargain night". Two movies, $5ish per person, and you can bring your own food so long as you aren't dancing around singing "Haha, we brought our own because this place's food is crap!"
August 24th, 2007, 04:10 AM
paganempath
We have Netflix-- our plan is unlimited one at a time for $10 a month.
August 24th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We rent them, but we get free rentals coupons from one of our CCs. We charge things to pay them right away to get our coupons!
August 24th, 2007, 06:34 AM
dzine21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Netflix. We have 2 at a time, but I should change it to 1. We currently haven't been watching much. Rarely go to the movies.

</div>
August 24th, 2007, 07:23 AM
_Rebecca_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We watch free movies on tv- or rather my dh watches the free movie as I fall asleep on the sofa.
August 24th, 2007, 07:40 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We either see a matinee or wait until new releases come to VoD.
August 24th, 2007, 08:31 AM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Um, not watch TV.

Seriously, we rarely watch movies. Sometimes we'll watch one on TV, once a while get one from a 99 cent kiosk rental place, we used to go to Blockbuster once in a while but don't anymore (and have gift cards to there which are probably expired now). Plus we have DVDs given to us as gifts that we still have not watched.

Going to the movies is rare, maybe once or twice a year and we go to the matinee.

August 24th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We always go to matinees. We also rent with NetFlix.
August 24th, 2007, 11:04 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We rent occasionally, but we're so bad about taking them back late and incurring late fees that I try not to rent at all anymore. Pay-per-view is a better option for us. We rarely see movies in the theater.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
August 25th, 2007, 02:49 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
We have no TV, but use Netflix and watch movies on the computer. The mail is crazy-slow up here so we upgraded to the 3 movies deal... It costs us $16 a month now.

ETA: We haven't been to a movie since we moved up here. Other than one town about two hours away, I don't even know where a theater is!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

August 26th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Veteran
When my brother worked at Blockbuster we used to get all the new releases a week or so before to watch for free. He also got 6 rentals a week. Blockbuster uses SLC for their test market, so they almost alwaya have a free rental promo going on. I haven't rented a movie since they fired my brother's entire store for "coupon fraud." Coporate fired them after the regional told them to do it to get the test market program to go national. They canned 165 employees in the region and lost hundreds of loyal customers to Netflix (My brother is the living movie database, who had many regulars.) Ha ha stupid Blockbuster.
Now we borrow movies for my brother giant stash-o-movies. (If you think my food stash is big you should se his DVD collection. Free rentals, and I never have to suffer through a bad movie again because he tells dh, don't bother, Kira will hate that movie.

<div align="center"></div>
August 26th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When we went to the video store last night they told us we have $13 in credits! We haven't been using them bc we have our free rentals anyways! Unfortunately you can only use $1 per rental so it still ends up costing you, but maybe we'll cash in our CC rewards for something else and pay for a few movies...
August 27th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I plead the 5th on this situation

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
August 27th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I plead the 5th on this situation[/b]
You're funny!
August 28th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy