Day of the Dead

Forum: Loss of a Parent

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Loss of a Parent LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I don't know if you've heard of Day of the Dead but it's coming up on November 1/2 and is quite a sweet celebration though I could imagine some seeing it as macabre.

It's celebrated in Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries where it's known as Dia de los Muertos on November 2; November 1 is Dia de los Angelitos - especially for departed children. It's a day to honour the dear departed through feasting, celebration and lighting candles or decorating the house to signal to them to visit home...similar to putting candles out or setting a place for the lost loved one(s) at the table on Hallowe'en as many Pagan/spiritual people are wont to do.

Decorations include sugar skulls and skeletons, colourful banners and lights. This may sound a little distasteful, but the whole event is described as a celebration of life of those who have passed from this world.

Mexico Celebrates Life | Day of the Dead in Mexico

Interestingly, it's celebrated alongside the Christian All Saints' Day (November 1) and All Souls' Day (November 2) - so it seems like many religions have the same idea about when the so-called "veil" is thinnest and when is a potent time to honour the dead.

Would anybody here like to do something simple to mark Day of the Dead? I'm only thinking of maybe penning a prayer or poem together (multifaith or non-faith) to say and lighting a candle, unless anyone has any other ideas.

Even if not I thought it was something interesting some of you might like to know about. Everyone is different in how they deal with their grief and having a specific day to do something positive in remembrance of a lost loved one is something that may be helpful to some, though perhaps not others.

October 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think its kind of cool that its one day that we're "allowed" to remember our lost parents, I've heard of it but never explored how it might work in my life.
October 23rd, 2011, 07:37 PM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
I think it's pretty interesting that it falls right when my dad's anniversary is. I'm not sure what I'll do this year to mark one year of his passing. Thank you for sharing about it though.
October 25th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I find it a fascinating festival. I've never really celebrated it, though I do the Pagan thing of honouring the dead on Hallowe'en/Samhain. If they sold more stuff in the shops over here I might put skeletons out in the window and light candles for my dad over 3 days instead of just one. I'm glad I shared it if you ladies found it interesting.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search