What advice would you give?

Forum: Loss of a Parent

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MountainMomma
  • 1 Post By Just_Marie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Loss of a Parent LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2013, 10:54 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
If you were approached by someone who had just found out that the end of their parent's time on Earth was near, what advice would you give them? What did you do to say goodbye that helped you? What do you wish you had done differently?

I think the biggest thing for me is I would have recorded more. Audio, video, still photos.... the whole deal. Especially audio though. Dad had cancer that had ravaged his entire body and looking at pictures from that time is kind of rough. I have one little snippet of an audio recording that was made years earlier and I nearly wore it out after he died. I wish I had made a lot of audio recordings.

My advice is to sit with your parent and get them to tell you stories. Stories from your childhood. Stories from their childhood. Family history. Whatever. Record those stories so you can listen to them again after your parent is gone.
Just_Marie likes this.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
February 6th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with all of the above. Don't be afraid to spend time with them near the end, its going to be really hard and scary, but you will never have a chance to reclaim those moments. Ask them to talk about their youth, your childhood, their dreams and successes. Now that my parents are gone, there is nobody to tell me about my childhood, it feels like that part of my life is missing.
MountainMomma likes this.
March 16th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
My Dad died very suddenly, without much warning. If I had known, I would've just spent more time with him. I don't think anyone regrets the time they spend with a dying parent when they look back. I wish I had more pictures, video, etc. especially for my Big Boy's benefit because he will probably never remember the time he did get to spend with his Opa.

Also, for anyone else who has a strong memory-smell connection, I was always soothed by a shirt I had kept of his that smelled like him. Anytime I was stressed or sad, I would just lay in bed with my face buried in his shirt and it would help me feel like he was there.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

March 16th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
***woops***

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

Last edited by Social Halfwit; March 16th, 2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: double post

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search