New Here

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2009, 08:35 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, My name is Megan and I'm a mother of 3. My oldest is ADHD, however he is so far on the Hyperactivity side that he shows little attention defficiet problems if he can actually stop moving long enough to focus. He is the most kind hearted little boy, but he litterally bounces off of walls. In fact he used to find it really funny to run in to walls and bounce off. He started on meds a few months before turning five because he'd run right into the street even with me running after him yelling and in a panic.. He started on Focalin at 5mg. and now at the age of 5 almost 6 he is at 15mg. He's so incredably smart, he talks about all kinds of stuff you just wouldn't think of a 5 year old talking about. But he has alot of problems at school.. We had him evaulated when he was in PreK and they did tests and said his IQ tests low but its because he'd do part of the test and then just get up and walk away.. coming back a few minutes later to finish the test. They did more tests and concluded that he did not need to be in special ed.. but because of that, his first teacher in Kindergarden claimed he was out of control and choosing to be disruptive and such.. She told me face to face that he was just 'out of control in class' and I asked her a few questions and she said well you told me he was ADD.... and I said no I told you he was severly hyperactive.. and she said 'well whats the difference' I sent in a package of info to her on hyperactivity. I also told her due to his condition he gets worse in any given situation if he feels uncomfortable.. and her response was that an uncomfortable child doesn't just get up and walk around the room or doesn't throw food at lunch time, I told her that frankly she made me feel uncomfortable and I knew if I was that my son was! She told me straight up that she thought his meds should be upped, I asked her why she thought that when she didn't even know the difference between his condition and ADD. I demanded another teacher and fought with the school on it.

Finally I had to ask the school when it became my right to choose that my son needed a new teacher and only after that question did they give in and change his teachers. A week later the school called Child Protective Services on me because my son had a bruise on his head (CPS came out and determained that it was a call that in no way needed to be made because in just talking to my son they new it wasn't abuse).

Since Nathaniel has been in his new class he has been doing much better! And his new teacher understands a little better on how to deal with him, she has more compassion and gets on his level and asks him why he feels the way he does and such. He still has a problem here or there but nothing compared to all the issues he had with his first teacher.

Sorry I didn't mean to make it a vent but its one of my sore spots. But I'm hopeing to find people who may be in the same situation as I am. Or if there is a better group that my son may fit into.

Thanks!

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

January 15th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Is there anyone else who's ADHD child is considered severly hyperactive?

January 15th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome.

My son is also 5 and in kindergarten. He can not sit still to save his life and is very disruptive to his class. His DR thinks he has ODD - oppositional defiant disorder opposed to ADD because he can actually pay attention really well. Even though he can not sit still he can tell me exactly what they learned all day long in school and about all the social interactions between all the other kids. He actually has very astute attention.

When I took the online tests for ADHD for him he shows to have the symptoms for Hyperactivity and for impulsivity opposed to attention deficit. I also had him evaluated and his IQ is off the charts high but have also been told that doing IQ tests before the age of 10 is not very accurate. Although he was doing jigsaw puzzles at 2 years old so I do think he is smarter than average.

Anyhow, he is on plain old fashioned Ritalin and doing great. He can sit and focus and concentrate at school now and even his handwriting has improved tons. I think he'll be on meds until at least 2nd grade.
January 16th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Welcome.

My son is also 5 and in kindergarten. He can not sit still to save his life and is very disruptive to his class. His DR thinks he has ODD - oppositional defiant disorder opposed to ADD because he can actually pay attention really well. Even though he can not sit still he can tell me exactly what they learned all day long in school and about all the social interactions between all the other kids. He actually has very astute attention.

When I took the online tests for ADHD for him he shows to have the symptoms for Hyperactivity and for impulsivity opposed to attention deficit. I also had him evaluated and his IQ is off the charts high but have also been told that doing IQ tests before the age of 10 is not very accurate. Although he was doing jigsaw puzzles at 2 years old so I do think he is smarter than average.

Anyhow, he is on plain old fashioned Ritalin and doing great. He can sit and focus and concentrate at school now and even his handwriting has improved tons. I think he'll be on meds until at least 2nd grade.[/b]

My son is the exact same way in class, how he can tell me everything thing he learned even though he wasn't able to sit still during class.

I've done some reading on the Hyperactivity and Impulsiveness, and when he was evaluated we talked about it as well.. Its my son to a T. He almost shows no ADD traits. I've not heard of ODD, we have an apt next week with Nathaniel's phsychitrist i think I'll ask him about that and see what he thinks Nathaniel leans more towards.

We've never tried Ritalin, my ex husband was on it as a child as was my step mom and both swear that it turned them into Zombies. Do you notice if it really effects your child like that? It wasn't even brought up that Nathaniel try it. Focalin had just come out and it looked like it matched what we wanted to go for, so we've never tried anything else.

January 16th, 2009, 06:50 AM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
welcome! My Tyler is 10 and has SEVERE ADHD, his DR has always said it is one of the most severe cases he has seen. He is 100% better on meds tho, but he does struggle BIG time in school.

January 16th, 2009, 07:57 AM
lovemyboysandabbey2 - your son is the one in gymnastics right? How does that work for him? Does it seem to help him focus and have more self control? My son is currently in Karate but I think I want to add Gymnastics, i'm just worried that he has too much energy for it.

January 16th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
ritalin does not make my son into a zombie but the drug in Focalin did. I think different meds work for different people. Also getting the correct dosing is important. Corey is still Corey on Ritalin just more enjoyable and less spastic, unfocused and defiant.

When he tried focalin he sat on the couch all day and stared at nothing. It was really freaky and a little scary. I'm not even sure why the DR tried focalin, it was a mix up in our communication I think. All I wanted was extended release ritalin and he misunderstood. Anyhow we are waiting for our ER ritalin to come in at the pharmacy, should be here tomorrow.
January 16th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Quote:
ritalin does not make my son into a zombie but the drug in Focalin did. I think different meds work for different people. Also getting the correct dosing is important. Corey is still Corey on Ritalin just more enjoyable and less spastic, unfocused and defiant.

When he tried focalin he sat on the couch all day and stared at nothing. It was really freaky and a little scary. I'm not even sure why the DR tried focalin, it was a mix up in our communication I think. All I wanted was extended release ritalin and he misunderstood. Anyhow we are waiting for our ER ritalin to come in at the pharmacy, should be here tomorrow.[/b]

Well thats great to hear with the Ritalin!! I'm sure it does all depend on different body types.

January 30th, 2009, 05:41 PM
jacob'smom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to jacob'smom Send a message via Yahoo to jacob'smom
hi and welcome megan!!!!!!! i am nickie mommy to Jake my ADHDer. He is so hyper active that he also runs into walls and finds it funny to jump all over everybody

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left">
</MARQUEE>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search