Does your child have an IEP?

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2009, 08:12 AM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
Through the school?

Tyler had one written up last year.

January 16th, 2009, 08:29 AM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nope they denied Nathaniel one, I am seriously thinking of switching my son's school. Not that it would change weather or not he gets an IEP, but I just don't like the school he is in.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

January 16th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Since I don't know what and IEP is, I would have to go with no.

What is it?

I've paid for all Corey's testing and treatment out of my own pocket. I don't think he qualifies for any help through the school system. I also did not want it to get to the point where they were recommending stuff for him, I wanted to stay in charge of his diagnosis and treatment.
January 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Since I don't know what and IEP is, I would have to go with no.

What is it?

I've paid for all Corey's testing and treatment out of my own pocket. I don't think he qualifies for any help through the school system. I also did not want it to get to the point where they were recommending stuff for him, I wanted to stay in charge of his diagnosis and treatment.[/b]

Here in GA it was a free evaluation through the school. an IEP is a file that states that your child is special ed and that you have certain rights when it comes to his education and such. I don't know how to really explain it. Basicly he is evaulated by a school district psychologist doing IQ testing, and behavioral testing, evaulations in class, and alone. And then a group of teachers and counslers and the psychologist get together and see if he needs to have an IEP on his file. For us the psychologist recommended physical therapy, but then took it back since he didn't 'seem' to need it. She also made recommendations for the class room, velcro on the table so he can run his hand over it so he could not have to concentrate on his movement and could concentrate on his school work, or getting a therapy ball he could sit on at class and bounce and such so he wasn't all over the room (he would be aloud to bounce and balance on the ball to satisfy his need to move.). So she recommended stuff like that! She can't recommend meds because only psychiatrists can perscribe meds. Basicly its done for the child to see if he needed to be placed with teachers who specifcly work with children with special conditions. I do know there is more to it than what I've described.

January 16th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I see. I don't think Corey would qualify. He does not seem to have any learning disabilities just sitting still disabilities which our Behavioral Ped thinks he will grow out of in time.
January 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
Quote:
Nope they denied Nathaniel one, I am seriously thinking of switching my son's school. Not that it would change weather or not he gets an IEP, but I just don't like the school he is in.[/b]

wow, how come they denied him??

January 16th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Well their reasoning was that since he eventually gets his work done and did it well, then they weren't worried about it. However I don't think they looked at the fact that it doesn't work that way in the actual class setting.

January 17th, 2009, 12:02 PM
luvmykidz's Avatar Veteran
Yes he has had one in place since he was first diagnosed. It has helped immensly though his is aimed more at the academic level instead of behavioral. His medication helps him concentrate and not be so wild in class.

January 22nd, 2009, 08:43 AM
badgirl11381's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to badgirl11381
yes, he has had one since kindergarten. DD does too. I am thankful for the IEP's. Since they require IEP's they are considered disabled and therefore get free medical insurance.

Thank you Babydoll213 for my beautiful siggy
January 30th, 2009, 06:47 PM
jacob'smom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to jacob'smom Send a message via Yahoo to jacob'smom
my son has an IEP but i never got a copy of it.

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left">
</MARQUEE>
February 13th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Newbies
Quote:
Through the school?

Tyler had one written up last year.[/b]
I am new here. But I wanted to respond to your post. I have a son with Aspergers Disorder and ADHD. I was denied his IEP at first, but I contacted a student advocate and found out it was against the law to deny an IEP. So I called the school again and told them that I was aware of my rights and was again requesting an IEP. I also told them that I had a student advocate, I was scheduled an IEP immediately. A student advocate can help with legal issues, understanding and guidelines. They know what the laws are and will also attend these meetings such as IEP's, so that things are done properly. They will question the schools and help place each child where they need to be in school. I would recommend contacting one.....I don't know what State your in, but you can look it up online. Good luck.
February 13th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Newbies
Quote:
Nope they denied Nathaniel one, I am seriously thinking of switching my son's school. Not that it would change weather or not he gets an IEP, but I just don't like the school he is in.[/b]

I am new here. But I wanted to respond to your post. I have a son with Aspergers Disorder and ADHD. I was denied his IEP at first, but I contacted a student advocate and found out it was against the law to deny an IEP. So I called the school again and told them that I was aware of my rights and was again requesting an IEP. I also told them that I had a student advocate, I was scheduled an IEP immediately. A student advocate can help with legal issues, understanding and guidelines. They know what the laws are and will also attend these meetings such as IEP's, so that things are done properly. They will question the schools and help place each child where they need to be in school. I would recommend contacting one.....I don't know what State your in, but you can look it up online. Good luck. (I recently posted this and hit the wrong reply)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search