If you medicate

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
how long do you plan to keep your child on the meds?

Will you try trials or holidays off the meds to see how they are doing?

Do you think your child will ever NOT need the meds?
January 26th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
how long do you plan to keep your child on the meds?

We plan on Corey being on meds through 2nd grade, maybe even through 5th depending on how he is doing.

Will you try trials or holidays off the meds to see how they are doing?

We do trials right now on the weekends and then quickly remember why we put him on meds in the first place. I think we will not do a real trial off the meds until next summer.

Do you think your child will ever NOT need the meds?

Yes, I believe Corey will eventually be able to get of meds. His DR believes (and has treated over 2000 kids for ADHD) that only kids with true learning disabilities still need meds by HS. I haven't yet seen any true LD in Corey other than not sitting still.
January 26th, 2009, 01:37 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
Well as of right now Tyler will be on them for the long haul. We had him off of them over the summer and it was really rough.

January 26th, 2009, 07:17 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
how long do you plan to keep your child on the meds? As long as he needs them, he has to be able to stay in school and with out meds he just really isn't there. I don't think I'd ever be able to home school him and that is what would have to happen if he were off meds.

Will you try trials or holidays off the meds to see how they are doing? I do not take him off on the weekends or during holidays, everyday he is on meds. The doctor has never suggested that we do weekends off or anything and all I can think of is while he is on them ever day then it will continue to work the way it does because there is always some meds in his system. But I do think that this summer we are going to attempt to try behaviour therapy which we will have to take him off meds for.

Do you think your child will ever NOT need the meds? Yes, I think that once he understands that he has to control his body and be aware of his actions that then he will be able to come off of the meds.. maybe middle or highschool I guess. Or maybe it could be sooner.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

January 27th, 2009, 06:34 AM
luvmykidz's Avatar Veteran
how long do you plan to keep your child on the meds? As long as it is needed. There is a big difference with him on the meds and him off the meds.

Will you try trials or holidays off the meds to see how they are doing? I do give him a break on the weekends and part of the summer, so he can "be himself." It is challenging on those days but I want him to recognize the differences and learn to control it better off of the meds. It seems to work okay for him as most of the time, we don't go anywhere anyway!

Do you think your child will ever NOT need the meds? I do hope eventually he will be able to not take medication, but be able to control himself a little better. I know most ADHD kids do grow out of the hyperactive parts but more than likely they will always have it in one form or another. It would be a blessing to have him off of the meds, but also have him recognize that he will still have to struggle at times to concentrate and be able to pay attention with out the meds.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search