Um... this may sound stupid, but how can you tell?

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2009, 12:11 AM
dismalgrin's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to dismalgrin Send a message via Yahoo to dismalgrin
Okay, my oldest is a very bright child. But she went through a phase of throwing herself down the stairs saying she was trying to kill herself. My family thinks because I have borderline personality disorder and have had suicidal attempts in my past that she was just acting on what she may have heard me say. But, I don't talk like that around my kids! Anyhow. I thought she could have ADD so I took her to her awesome pediatrition and he said no worrys of ADD or ADHD, that she has just been through a lot of trama lately and it would subside. Well, now that she is in state custody. She has gone. Woohoo! screaming yelling acting totally out of control and now I've heard that she has been diagnosed with ADHD (within 5 minutes of seeing a doctor) I'm mad. Because I don't see it. I mean, you don't just suddenly get ADHD like that, do you? What are the real symptoms? And are there alternitives to medicine?

<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center">
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter</div>
January 29th, 2009, 07:30 AM
luvmykidz's Avatar Veteran
For my son, it showed symptoms really early in life. I really doubt your daughter is ADD/ADHD, but maybe more along the lines of Bipolar/Manic Depressive. I am certainly not a doctor, but I don't believe that she would have ADHD, as it would have had to been prevalent far longer than for it to "suddenly" appear. I hope you understand what I am saying.

Teachers, principals and others would have mentioned her behavior to you long before now. She would be fidgeting, getting up out of her seat, not able to stay on task, lack of attention, and always going no matter how hard you try to control her. I would see if you can get a second opinion. I did that with my son just recently, not for ADHD though, but for a mood disorder they claimed he had. It turns out, he didn't have it at all. I have an adopted cousin who was diagnosed as Bipolar and it seems like your daughter may have this rather than ADHD. I hope I was able to help a little.

Why is she in state custody? Not trying to be nosey, just curious.

January 30th, 2009, 06:56 PM
jacob&#39;smom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to jacob&#39;smom Send a message via Yahoo to jacob&#39;smom
i agree with clarissa. And no ADHD symtoms just don't show up over night. it does sound more like a mood disorder. i hope the situation gets better for you.

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left">
</MARQUEE>
February 2nd, 2009, 02:34 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
I agree....
my son had symptoms as early as 4, we had him tested at 5 and sure enough he has ADHD, symptoms don't just show up over night.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search