Swallowing Pills

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2009, 09:42 AM
chevygirl302's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HELP! My 11 yr old son has been on Adderall XR for 4 years. For a long time we mixed the med (the inside granules) w/applesauce. Then he would not eat the applesauce.

So then he started putting the pill in his mouth to dissolve. Pedi said that was Ok, but, it probably tasted horrible.

I am SO done with the med taking forever for him to take in the AM. He is HORRIBLE with the arguing & fighting me in the AM, but, once he takes it is fine the rest of the day.

I do believe as he has aged he is kind of outgrowing this, we go without it in summertime. And right now he is on high honor roll, so I hate to stop this right now.

Can I have some tips for teaching him to swallow it? Anyone tried those cups that holds the pill & water to help them swallow it?

Thanks in advance for any help/tips!
February 6th, 2009, 10:21 AM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure if I can help or not, since your son is much older than mine. But have you tried any kind of incentive? like $5 at the end of the school week if he takes is meds with no problem all week. Or taking away something like a game or something if he refuses or makes a big deal about taking it. Or maybe a dollar a day for taking his pills (the same as the $5 a week, but just with instant gratification). Or mybe if he takes it all week then you take him fishing or something that he likes to do on the weekend.

My son is all about the 'whats in it for him' aspect. I'm in for some serious trouble because my son is only 5, LOL! but we haven't had much problems with meds because he knows they are what help him get 'blue' days (great days at school)! But we do have problems with him cleaning up around the house and being nice to his brother and sister and to do that we use the reward type system like above.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

February 6th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Quote:
I'm not sure if I can help or not, since your son is much older than mine. But have you tried any kind of incentive? like $5 at the end of the school week if he takes is meds with no problem all week. Or taking away something like a game or something if he refuses or makes a big deal about taking it. Or maybe a dollar a day for taking his pills (the same as the $5 a week, but just with instant gratification). Or mybe if he takes it all week then you take him fishing or something that he likes to do on the weekend.

My son is all about the 'whats in it for him' aspect. I'm in for some serious trouble because my son is only 5, LOL! but we haven't had much problems with meds because he knows they are what help him get 'blue' days (great days at school)! But we do have problems with him cleaning up around the house and being nice to his brother and sister and to do that we use the reward type system like above.[/b]

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I have taken away the DS for now b/c I caught him spitting out the remainder of his med in the bathroom sink. Also, I told him since he isn't even trying to act his age & swallow this pill that there would be NO skating rink bday party. But, IF he learns to swallow the pill in the next week, I WILL schedule the skating party.

I even offered last year to buy him a New Game Cube or DS game if he learned to swallow it. I know if he just gets it down a couple times, he'll see how easy it is.
February 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
he won't take it or can't swallow it? My 5 year old son swallows his pills fine. We started doing it whole in apple sauce and once he got the hang of that we moved to just using milk or juice.

Maybe practice with small things like mini m&m's or tictacs until he gets the concept. I think he should be able to swallow pills by now.
February 6th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Quote:
he won't take it or can't swallow it? My 5 year old son swallows his pills fine. We started doing it whole in apple sauce and once he got the hang of that we moved to just using milk or juice.

Maybe practice with small things like mini m&m's or tictacs until he gets the concept. I think he should be able to swallow pills by now.[/b]

I think its won't. He is so scared of choking on it he said. I told him he chews food up & swallows it in bigger chunks than that. We have been practicing w/Tic Tacs. He said there has been a couple times where its 'almost' went down. I just think he is anxious about it. Maybe even a bit stubborn.

like I said though, once morning is over with & he finally gets his meds over with he isn't so difficult.
February 6th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Bluebunnygirl1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter first learned by taking her pill in a spoonful of pudding.

February 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Quote:
My daughter first learned by taking her pill in a spoonful of pudding.[/b]
Thanks for a great idea!

Did you tell her it was in there? Or just disguise it & then tell her what she had just done? How long did you do that for & does she now take them fine with just a drink?
February 8th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Bluebunnygirl1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She knew it was in there, it was a capsule so we didnt want her to bite down on it. It was hard for her at first, she has a strong gag reflex that made her really not want to swallow a pill. But the thickness of the pudding did seem to make it easier for her to swallow. It took her a few months with the pudding and then she decided she hated pudding and started taking it with water. So of course that was ok with me! She was, at the time, just turned 6. Shes now 9, still swallows pills, and still finds pudding repulsive!

February 9th, 2009, 12:20 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
we used to dissolve Tyler's capsule in yogurt, and then one day he decided he wanted to start swollowing the pills. It was great!

February 9th, 2009, 10:21 PM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
Popping in because I saw the title of the thread. My middle DD is probably on the autism spectrum and we had to get her to take pills last year at age 5. There was no way she would take them any way but swallowing so we finally went out and bought some Starburst candies and started with a teeny tiny soft little ball that she learned to swallow and got progressively bigger until it was pill-sized. Then she hated the taste of the pills so we wrapped them with a very thin film of Starburst candy for her to swallow (this may not be safe for all pills). That was the *only* way we got them in her! Of course she also had to have soda in left hand, pill in right, red Starbursts only, sitting on the futon, tv off, us not looking at her, each time before she'd even try

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
February 10th, 2009, 11:42 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Also, just saw the title and popped in. I know many adults who still can't swallow pills, and it personally took me until I was almost 16 before I finally learned. But what I did and what I do with my dd, is take an oral syringe (available in the baby aisle of most supermarkets), put 5 mls of water in a cup, drop the pill in, let it dissolve or crush it up, suck the water and dissolved pill into the oral syringe. Then put the oral syringe in the mouth close to the back and squirt the fluid in. We sometimes do a water chaser (or any other drink chaser). My dd is 6 with some pretty severe developmental problems, including autism, and everytime she sees the oral syringe, she says, time for your pill, opens up, and swallows it. Pill time used to me a nightmare for us, but now, its a breeze, and honestly, I don't really care if she ever learns to swallow, since this works so well.
February 10th, 2009, 01:55 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Also, just saw the title and popped in. I know many adults who still can't swallow pills, and it personally took me until I was almost 16 before I finally learned. But what I did and what I do with my dd, is take an oral syringe (available in the baby aisle of most supermarkets), put 5 mls of water in a cup, drop the pill in, let it dissolve or crush it up, suck the water and dissolved pill into the oral syringe. Then put the oral syringe in the mouth close to the back and squirt the fluid in. We sometimes do a water chaser (or any other drink chaser). My dd is 6 with some pretty severe developmental problems, including autism, and everytime she sees the oral syringe, she says, time for your pill, opens up, and swallows it. Pill time used to me a nightmare for us, but now, its a breeze, and honestly, I don't really care if she ever learns to swallow, since this works so well.[/b]

I wonder if this is ok to do with time release capsuls though? My son's meds are the kind that have the little pebbles inside the cap. So its designed to release all day and not all at once. Any experiance with this?

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

February 12th, 2009, 07:50 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't have any experience with that. Hers aren't time release. I would check with the doc and see if it would be ok.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search